Monday, January 29, 2024

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "STRONG"

 



Welcome! It's time for Tuesday Tales where a group of talented writers get together and write to a common word prompt. This week the prompt is "strong." We have another episode of "Two of Hearts" this week. When  you're done here, don't forget to visit the other writers. Find them HERE. 


                                      *************************************************


Jen arrived at intensive care by nine thirty. Marcy and Lillian were already there, talking to the doctor. The head of the bed had been raised and Stan was sitting up. He gave her a blank look.

Hesitating a bit, she approached the bed. 

“How are you?” Dark brown eyes washed over her.

“And you are?” he asked, his voice hoarse.

“Jen. Your wife.” She clenched her fist to keep her hand from trembling.

“Oh. I have good taste,” he said, wearing a half smile.

Marcy’s raised voice caught her attention.

“I can only get permission from Mrs. Hogan,” the doctor said.

“Permission? For what?” Jen pushed her way between the two women who blocked her path.

She mustered all her strength to focus on the doctor’s words.

“We want to monitor him today and if he continues to improve, move him to a private room. With your permission, that is.”

“Whatever you think is best, Dr. Harrison.”

“He should stay in intensive care! You don’t know about his brain. It isn’t safe,” Marcy said, her voice shrill.

“Marcy. I trust Dr. Harrison’s judgment. We will do what he suggests. Why don’t you go for a walk? Get a cup of coffee?”

“So you can have alone time with dad? Nope. I’m staying right here.”

“Suit yourself. But I’m calling the shots.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Hogen,” Dr. Harrison said. He shook her hand and left.

“I can hear you,” Stan said, his voice soft and weak.

Marcy rushed over, shoving Jen aside. 

“I’m thirsty,” he said.

“Get him some water, Jennifer,” Marcy ordered.

A slow burn started in Jen.

“Can I speak to you outside, Marcy?”

“Not while dad’s awake. I almost lost my father. I’m not going to waste a minute.”

“Then I suggest you back off and be reasonable. You are standing next to the water pitcher, cup and straw. I suggest you give him some water or get out of the way, and I will.”

Marcy shot her a hostile glare but did fill the cup and hand it to Stan. His hand shook. He spilled the water all over himself and started shouting. Marcy apologized over and over.

“Get away, get away! Let me in there,” Jen said, tugging on her stepdaughter’s sleeve.

Shaken, the young woman backed up and stood by the wall. A nurse came in.

“What happened?”

“I’m wet. I’m wet!” Stan shrieked.

“A little water spilled,” Jen corrected.

“No problem. I’ll get a new gown,” the nurse said and left.


That's all for today. Thanks for stopping by. 

6 comments:

  1. Poor Jen. It looks as if things are going to get worse before they get batter, and the poor man must be terrified. Great scene. Nothing like relatives you don't recall fighting over you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisite writing! I love how you weave all the voices into an emotionally fraught picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Jen is so calm and collected in this crisis, even though Marcy is being a massive twit. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we just smack Marcy upside the head right now? What a snot she is.
    Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete