Monday, February 5, 2024

Tuesday Tales - Word Promp "Run"

 







Welcome! This week, we're writing to the word prompt "run". I have another excerpt from "Two of Hearts." Today, Terry is out walking Queenie and feeling bummed his wife, Clare, didn't answer his call when he runs into Jen and Willie.  When you finish, bop on over to the other authors and read their terrific stories. Find them HERE

                          *******************************************************

“What’s wrong?”

“He’s not Stan. Not the man I married.”

“What do you mean?”

She sniffled, dipping into her pocket for a tissue. “He’s, he’s feeble. Feeble is the only word to describe him.”

“Feeble? Hell, lady, the guy just woke up from a coma. Do you expect him to run a three minute mile?”

“ I expected him to talk, be forceful, criticize everything, declare he was going home and no one could stop him. To be masterful, strong, determined. But he wasn’t any of those things. He was meek. Stan Hogan, meek? I never thought I’d see the day.”

“Give him a chance! A chance to bounce back.”

“Do you really think he will?”

“Hell, Jen, it’s the first day. You need to be patient.” He unsnapped Queenie so she could sniff Willie’s butt.  

“Patience has never been my strong suit.”

“Things change.”

“I know. And for better or for worse. I guess after five years of great, I could learn to deal with a bit of worse.”

“Nice talk! What would Stan do if the situation were reversed?”

She laughed. “Either he’d be crushed and fawning all over me, or he’d just walk out and hire someone to take care of me.”

“Well?”

“Well, what?”

“Maybe you could hire someone to help you when he comes home. He is coming home, isn’t he?”

“The doctor is optimistic.”

“Have you eaten anything today?” Terry asked. 

She scrunched her face up. “I think I had a breakfast sandwich on the way to the hospital.”

“Hell. You can’t deal with this on an empty stomach.”

“I couldn’t possibly eat anything.”

“Wait here,” he said, handing her Queenie’s leash. He ran back to the apartment and grabbed the white bag on the credenza. Huffing, he slowed as he neared the woman and the dogs. Queenie barked and wagged her tail.

“One for me, and one for you,” he said, plucking two cream puffs out of the bag.

She shot him a quizzical look.

“Cream puffs. Yeah, not exactly healthy food, but guaranteed to make you feel better.”

She smiled. “If you say so.”

He took a small bite of his, to make it last. Yes, it would help with the fact that Clare hadn’t been home and hadn’t called back. He took another bite and let the superb cream roll around his tongue.


That's it for this week. Thanks for stopping by. 

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post. You convey her anger and frustration very well. Dealing with stuff like that is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You depict her emotions so well, and he was a good friend with the way he talked and brought her to a better frame of mind. The little tidbit about his wife not calling gave us insight into him. Despite feeling low, he spared time and energy for this hurting woman. Good idea, too-- that cream puff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how he encourages her to have faith. And a treat to cheer her up too! I wasn’t a big fan of him in the beginning but now I really like him. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. I like that he got her a treat and encouraging words to try to cheer her up

    ReplyDelete