Monday, January 22, 2024

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "WATER"


Hello and welcome, 

Tuesday Tales are written by a group of talented authors creating stories to a word prompt. This week the word prompt is "water". We have another excerpt from "Two of Hearts." After you finish my snippet, hop on over to read the others. You'll find them HERE. Thanks for stopping by.

                                      ***************************************************** 

“Come on, come on. A little more exercise will do you good,” Terry said to Queenie, dangling a treat in front of her nose. She snatched it out of his fingers, gobbled it down, then yawned. The pug lapped up some water, pushed to her feet, and stretched. Wagging her tail signaled she was ready. Terry put on the harness, straightened the new tie Clare had bought him for his birthday, and tripped out the door, humming.

He frowned as he remembered his last encounter with Jen. He hoped she’d have good news today. He hated to be happy when someone else wasn’t. Turning the corner, Queenie spied Willie before he spied Jen. They caught up to the lady and her dog. There were dark circles under her lovely blue eyes.

“Hi. How’d it go?” He asked, afraid the news was the worst.

“Hi. Okay. Okay, I think.”

“You think?” he raised his eyebrows.

“Stan woke up yesterday. But he was confused, angry. He almost hit me. Accused me of trying to kill him. He didn’t know who I was,” she said, her voice shaking.

“You’re kidding? Really?”

“It’s true. The doctor said he might be agitated, but I never expected he wouldn’t know me.”

“That’s awful. I’m so sorry.”

Jen’s gaze slid over him. “You’re in a good mood. Something happen?”

Terry would never tell anyone about the Skype sex, but embarrassment colored his face anyway. “Had a nice conversation with Clare last night.”

Jen’s eyebrows shot up. “Just a conversation?”

“Well,” the heat deepened.

“Okay. I won’t push. Glad someone had a ‘good night’,” she snickered.

“I’m sure those are just around the corner for you and Stan.”

“God, I hope so. I’d be grateful if he just remembered my name!”

“You’re taking this well.”

“I didn’t sleep much. At least he’s alive. I’m hoping they’ll move him to a private room.”

“A private room?” Terr wiggled his eyebrows, making Jen laugh.



That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by. 

6 comments:

  1. Poor Jen. She loves her husband so much and she was hoping he'd pop right back to okay. Bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their banter. His confession and teasing is lightening her heart when she really needs it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gratified that his tomfoolery made her laugh. She needed that today, with all the horror going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Jen. Such a powerful snippet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad he was able to brighten her morning a bit. That would be such a rough place to be in where she's at with her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to her. Yes he's alive, but not knowing who she is has to hurt. Glad Terry's 'conversation' made her laugh. She needed it.

    ReplyDelete