Monday, June 4, 2012

Tuesday Tales, Written to the Prompt "Tree"

Thanks for stopping by. Here is a bit from my WIP, "If I Loved You". This scene takes place in Central Park at night. Chaz Duncan, movie star, is walking with his financial advisor, Megan Davis. They have been dancing warily around each other unable to avoid mutual attraction. 
The breeze picked up making Megan wrap her arms around her torso. Chaz took off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. The rustling of the trees, green with new spring leaves was pleasant and they moseyed along the path, in no hurry to reach their destination.

“It must have been horrible for you…when you dad disappeared.”
“For a long time I expected him to come walking in the door. But it’s been so many years with no contact at all. I can’t believe he would leave us like that, without a word.”
Chaz draped his arm over her shoulder and pulled her close to him. She sighed and fell into step with him.
“My life was no bed of roses either.”
Megan looked at him.
“If this hits the papers, I’ll know where it came from,” he warned.
Megan crossed her heart with her finger.
“I promise to keep your confidence.”
“My mother was a crack addict. I was born in the South Bronx without a dad. Mom died from an overdose. By age nine I was living in foster homes. I escaped into fantasy…it was the only way I could deal with my life. One day I was a brilliant scientist, the next I was a superhero incognito, anyone except who I really was. It kept me sane though my teachers didn’t appreciate it. Foster parents thought I was nuts, so I was shuffled from one foster home to another.
Megan gasped, unable to stop herself.
“One middle school teacher, Emily Gold, took pity on me. She encouraged my fantasies, my acting and made me the star of the school play. Once I heard applause, I was hooked.”
 Return to Tuesday Tales - Click HERE
Find out more about my books on my WEBSITE

5 comments:

  1. That is a really revealing scene. I can't wait for the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you weaved in their backgrounds. I am so hooked. What I love is how you layered both of them, especially Megan. Awesome tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Jean. The conversation sounds so natural, giving background info in a realistic way. Sounds like another great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It often only takes one special person to set someone on the right road to success, I loved the way you wove in these stories.

    ReplyDelete