Monday, February 27, 2023

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT 'BUD"

 


Welcome! This week we peek at an early morning meeting over coffee with Barbara, Dale's mother, and Robbie. It's a very frank discussion. When you're done, hop on over to the other stories by our excellent author. Find them HERE.

                                          *****************************************

Barbara’s brows lowered and her tone changed. “Yes, she is great. The last thing she needs is someone breaking her heart.” Her eyes bored into his.

He raised his palm. “Believe me. The last thing I want to do is break her heart. She’s amazing. I’ve never known a girl like her. I’m honored she takes any interest in me at all.”

Barbara laughed. “Are you kidding? Have you looked in the mirror lately?” Barbara added milk to her coffee.

“Dale’s not that superficial.”

“No, but she’s human. I can understand how she couldn’t resist you.”

“I’m not just a pretty face,” Robbie said, picking up his mug.

Barbara patted his hand. “No, you’re not. You’re amazing, too. You’re the first guy she’s brought home who got right to work. Like a member of the family. ” 

“It’s an honor to be part of your family, even for only a few days.”

“You don’t have any family?” Barbara took a sip.

“No,” Robbie said, casting his gaze to his hands.

Barbara paused, as if waiting for an explanation. If she was, she’d have a long wait. Robbie had learned long ago not to reveal his sad family history to people. So, no matter how much he liked Barbara, the one word would have to do.

“I see.”

“I’m not much of a family man.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Don’t you want to have a family of your own?”

Robbie shook his head. “Hadn’t planned to.”

“Really?” The shock on Barbara’s face told him he’d stepped over the line. Revealed too much. Damn, why couldn’t he remember to keep his mouth shut?

“That’s what Dale wants. Did you tell her?”

“She knows. I’ve been up front with her from the beginning.”

“And she’s okay with that?”

“You’ll have to ask her.” Robbie finished the last of his coffee and rose.

Barbara put her hand on his arm. “Don’t go.”

“I’ve said too much already.” Robbie rinsed out his mug and placed it in the dishwasher.

“If Dale wants to continue this budding relationship, do you?”

“This is getting pretty personal. Dale and I haven’t discussed any of this.”

“I’m her mother, don’t I have a right to know?”

“No, you don’t. This is a discussion I will have with Dale.”

Barbara sat back. “Well, I’ve been told, haven’t I?”

“Is my mother prying?” This time the voice was Dale’s.

“I wasn’t prying, exactly…” Barbara said, her cheeks coloring.

                             

                                               *****************************************
That's it for this week. Thanks for stopping by. 

6 comments:

  1. Great scene. Very realistic since mothers around the world all worry about their kids. no matter how old they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Complex, emotional scene. Beautifully rendered. LOVE this line- “Well, I’ve been told, haven’t I?”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an emotional scene. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ut-oh...Mama Hen is getting involved. This should get interesting. I love how realistically they all relate with each other. Even when he's holding back and not wanting to share more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how Mom is prying to figure out more about his intentions. And I love how she was caught in the end! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Mom is a busy body for sure. I am not digging that nosiness. I had a mother in law like that. LOL!

    ReplyDelete