Monday, August 9, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "CREAM"

 


Welcome! It's time for Tuesday Tales, and another excerpt of "Sarah's Dilemma." This week, we're still with Martha as she makes plans to get closer to Abiel Lee. Don't forget to check out the fabulous authors on Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by.


*****************************************

“All the way from Pennsylvania! Goodness. I’ll say you’re hungry. Tired, too, I bet. Will you join us for supper tonight as our guests?”

Hope colored and glanced at her father. A grin spread across Abiel’s face. “We’d be honored. Mighty neighborly of you, Mrs. Chesney.”

“We sit for supper at six.” Martha curtsied, Abiel bowed, and she left, taking her time, moseying on home.

“Sarah and Lizzy, set three more places for supper tonight.”

“You invited them, Martha?”

“I did, Abby. They seem nice enough and they’ve had a very long trip. Probably haven’t had time to stock in any provisions yet.”

“And he’s very good looking,” Abby added.

Martha sensed heat in her face. “Nonsense. Just being good neighbors is all.”

“Keep telling yourself that,” Abby muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

Martha huffed to the staircase and hauled herself up the stairs. Going up and down those stairs a dozen or more times a day kept her trim. She had the figure of a much younger woman.

So what if Abby knows I find Abiel Lee attractive? I’m a grown woman. Been alone long enough. Not that I’d ever marry again. And certainly not a Sheriff! But a little male company once in a while would be welcome.

She changed into her work clothes and returned to the kitchen.

“Making something special for tonight, Martha?” Abby had returned to peeling potatoes.

“Adding some food for the company is all.”

“Sam got some rabbits today out hunting with Benjamin Fitch.” Sarah punched down her bread dough.

“Oh? Perfect. I think I see a nice rabbit stew for dinner. Lizzy, go down to the root cellar and fetch me some carrots and onions. While  you’re down there, bring up a jar of cream, too.”

“Cream?” Abby’s eyebrows rose.

“I’m fixin’ to make something special out of those potatoes, if it’s any concern of yours.” Martha turned her face away, hiding a blush she sensed stealing into her cheeks.

Abby patted her mother-in-law on the shoulder. “Nothing like a good meal to set a man’s mind to finer things.”

Catching the twinkle in Abby’s eye, Martha chuckled.


That's all for this week. Thanks for coming by. Don't forget to leave a comment. Love to read your feedback. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this scene. It shows the depth of the relationship between the two women so well. I love the way Martha justifies her interest in the sheriff, too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way that they tease her. They have a comfortable enough relationship to egg her on about the handsome guy across the street while helping her make dinner for him and his family. I can't wait to read more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can really feel the closeness of the women. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so enjoying reading this story. And it seems spry little Martha has quite a bit of life left in her! I love it.

    ReplyDelete