Monday, August 16, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - PICTURE PROMPT

 




Welcome! This week we write to a picture prompt and limit our stories to only 300 words. We have another episode of "Sarah's Dilemma", a historical romance set in the Colonial period. Don't forget to read all the stories on TUESDAY TALES. Comments are much appreciated. 

*********************************

The kitchen door opened, and Sam Chesney, Abigail's teenaged son, entered. “Where do you want these, Grandma.” He toted several dead skinned rabbits.

“Those look mighty fine. Good job. Throw them in. We’re going to have them tonight in a stew. We got company coming.”

“Company?” Sam asked, adding the meat to a pot on the stove.

“Yep. New sheriff and his daughter and granddaughter.”

“Ain’t he got a wife?” Sam picked an apple from a bowl on the table and took a bite.

“Nope. Widowed. Like me.” She cut up carrots and added them to the stew.

Sam grinned. “Now Grandma, don’t you get your head all turned by this newcomer.” He chuckled.

“Why Sam Chesney! You’ ain’t too old for me to tan your hide.” Martha said with a twinkle in her eye. She laughed as she brandished a wooden spoon as her weapon. “His granddaughter is mighty handsome.” She took a bowl down from the blue shelf.

“Yeah?” 

“Becky Rhodes oughta be forewarned.”  Martha chopped the onion and added it.

“Aw, Grandma.” Blushing, Sam turned away and finished munching on the apple.

“What’s sauce for the goose, Mister,” she said, patting his back.  

"Make sure that sheriff minds his manners. Or I'll have to give him a lickin'." 

"Why Sam Chesney! I believe you would." 

"Darn right. No one gets fresh with my grandma. What's the girl's name?"

"Violet, I think. Already fixing to step out on Becky?" 

"I didn't say that. But a man's gotta take account of all the opportunities he can."

"Becky's a fine girl."

"I know. But I can't get tied down yet." 

"I see. Wash up and change your shirt." Martha stirred the stew. 

"She that pretty? Then I best do as you say." He took the stairs two at a time. 

*****************************

That's all for this week. Thanks for stopping by. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this dialogue. So natural. Just what you'd expect from loving family members. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well he's a sassy one! I love his spirit and his bantering with his grandma. Great job!

    ReplyDelete