Monday, November 2, 2020

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "SHOE" - THE KISS


 

Howdy! Welcome. This week we have the word prompt "shoe" and another excerpt of "The Kiss."  Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales and the excellent stories there. Thanks for stopping by. 


********************************

Allison shot him a questioning glance, but he simply shrugged. She filed it away to ask again. Maybe when their sons weren’t around? He gave her a half smile and hurried to catch up with the boys.

Standing in front of the monkeys, Don laughed at the antics of the furry creatures. Allison remembered the day he tried to say the Peter Piper rhyme.

“What’s funny? He asked, bending down to tie his shoe

“Remember the Peter Piper thing? Try it again. Maybe you can do it now?”

He waved his hand. “Nah. The boys are too old now.”

“Aw, come on.”

“Yeah, Dad. Come on.”

“Do it,” Robbie chimed in.

As he stumbled over the words, brutalizing the rhyme, Allison lost it. He finally cracked up so bad he couldn’t go on.

I love a man who can laugh at himself.

When they calmed down, they moved on to the next exhibit.

“How long are you in town?” Don hung back.

“Just this weekend. Sunday night, Robbie goes to stay with his father.”

“Where is Spencer living?”

“He’s up by Columbia. Since Spencer refuses to pick him up, I drop Robbie off. Then I’ll catch a bus back to Pine Grove. You still in Manhattan?”

“I got custody of the apartment until the end of this school year. When Alex starts high school, I’ll have to move.”

Allison gripped his forearm. “Come to Pine Grove! I’ve got Robbie enrolled in a small private school out there. I bet they have room for Alex.”

His face lit up. “He’d like that. Can we talk Sunday, after you take Robbie uptown?”

“I’ll be late.”

“Stay over one more night. You’re not working tomorrow, right?”

“Right. School aides don’t work in the summer.”

“If it’s too expensive for you, I'll spring for the room. We need to talk. At least, I need to talk to you.”

“Deal with one condition.”

“What’s that?”

“You tell me the truth about why you left Mary.”

“Deal.” He grasped her hand and shook it.


***************************************


Back to Tuesday Tales

My website

4 comments:

  1. Lovely scene. I had a friend who couldn't manage those rhymes too. Believe me, they are even harder in French. Hope things work out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Piper is one I say almost every day. I remember my daddy teaching it to me when I was about 3 or 4. I love the way you so effortlessly move the story along. I'm glad they had a good day and are getting together again. I look forward to their reactions to each other's secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post this week with them growing closer. Can't wait to see what the conversation leads to at the hotel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Things are about to be revealed! I can’t wIt to read more!

    ReplyDelete