Sunday, March 18, 2012

THE DAFFODILS OF CENTRAL PARK

The 5,000 daffodil bulbs given to Central Park by Holland after 9/11 are blooming. They remind me spring is here and are a living tribute to those we lost during those dark days. They burst with color, brilliant yellows and oranges, glowing as if they reflected energy from the sun. I'd like to share these glorious flowers with  you and bring their sunshine into your life.



Daffodils
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
 


 A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:




 









 For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth
 
 
 
 
 
 They flourish in large groups...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 or small...
 In different colors...and varieties...












Brambles don't keep them down...









Old leaves can't bury them...they poke their heads up through anything.





Scattered even among trash...










They can't be strangled...choked off by other plants...



It is their mission to bring color...









Vibrancy.....













Variety...













and life, even when solitary by a fence...












Adding beauty to the drab, gray parkland beginning to wake up to spring.











Hail, the magnificent daffodil whose brilliant yellow reminds us sunny days are around the corner.










 
 
 
Interested in my books? Check out my website

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, lovely poem, Jean! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a big Wordsworth fan but in spite of that, this is still one of my favorite poems. Wonderful pics, Jean - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics! I love flowers. I can't wait to plant my flower gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible pictures and a wonderful poem choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete