Monday, August 12, 2024

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "BURNED"

 


 Greetings! 

Welcome to Tuesday Tales. This week we're writing to the word prompt "burned". I have another segment of my work-in-progress, "Sam's Decision." Hop on over to read all the wonderful Tuesday Tales stories. Find them HERE


               ******************************************************

“But since I’m here, I can stay to visit a while,” he said, cupping her cheek. “You’re looking right plump.”

“Can you stay for dinner?” she asked. “We’re having venison stew.”

“Sure can. Thank you.” Visions of the meat, roasted potatoes, and freshly baked cake danced in his head.

“Charles, please tell Collette we’ll have another at the table,” Sarah said, taking her brother’s arm. “And please tell her we’ll have tea in the parlor now,” she said.

“Yes, Missus.”

Charles turned toward the kitchen while Sarah guided Sam to the spacious room. Sarah flopped down on the largest sofa and patted the seat next to her. Sam joined her.

“I was in town today,” she said.

“Oh?” Sam raised his eyebrows. 

                                                                                            

“Yes. Had to pick up some things at the General Store.”

“You saw Becky?” Sam shifted in his seat.

“Yep. We had a good long talk.”

“Oh?” Sweat beaded on Sam’s forehead. “What did she tell you?”

Sarah slapped his shoulder. “What do you mean about getting a farm? Asking Becky to marry you just to become a farm hand? Huh? You’re doing so well at the smith shop. Why would you want to have a farm?”

“It’s my dream,” Sam said, jutting out his chin. “

“You have forgotten how hard papa worked – night and day, just to put food on our table.”

“But we ate good, didn’t we?”

“We got by, that’s all. We all worked on the farm. Without a family, how are you going to make it work?”

“I don’t need a family. I ain’t plowin’ and plantin’ all forty acres. I’ll plant only what we can manage. We only need enough food for ourselves. Being two people, how much can we eat?”

“What happens when you become three?”

Sam’s eyes glittered at the prospect of what becoming a father entailed. Then his expression sobered. “We’ll manage.”

“Who’s we? Becky ain’t gonna marry you.”

“She ain’t the only woman in this town!” Sam bolted up from his seat. “You’re pretty high and mighty now that you got a rich husband. Who you be telling me what I should or shouldn’t do?” 

“I’m sorry, Sam. I just want you to be happy. And I don’t think you’ll be happy married to anyone but Becky.”

“She got pretty high and mighty, too. The females in this town burn me up. What's got into y'all, anyway? Think you can push a man around? I make my own decisions.”



That's all for today. Thanks for stopping by. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sam sounds a bit chauvinistic to me. He may fancy working from dawn to dusk to scratch out a few acres of what he needs to survive but not everyone would. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not sure he's such a prize catch if just any old woman will do. LOL! I have a feeling he might be due for some comeuppance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent snippet! You take me right back into time with your writing. Love how you worked the word prompt in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh…I think Sam needs to be humbled a bit. I agree with his sister. Becky is his best match if he would just get over his ego. Great job!

    ReplyDelete