Monday, November 20, 2023

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "MEET"


 Welcome! This week our word prompt is "meet." We have another episode in "Two of Hearts." It's Jen's turn. Don't forget to visit the excellent Tuesday Tales authors. Find them HERE. Have a very happy Thanksgiving and thanks for stopping by. 

            *****************************************************************

After the doctor left, Jen strolled over to the window. What did it all mean? The doctor was saying he’s getting better, then he said that Stan’s drinking might make things worse. But he’d been on the wagon. Didn’t that help? Was too late?

“What did the doctor say,” snapped a female voice from the doorway. Jen turned. It was Marcy, with Lillian standing behind her.

“They’re bringing him off the induced coma this afternoon.” Jen raised her gaze to meet her stepdaughter's. 

“It’s about time! These people have done nothing. Waiting, waiting. This damn waiting.”

“They are doing what they can,” Jen said. One look at the hostile expression on Marcy’s face and Jen decided to leave. “I’m going home to take a nap and walk Willie. I’ll be back right after lunch.”

“Leave the dirty work to me and mom. Typical.”

“What dirty work?”

“Dealing with the staff.”

Jen’s blood boiled. “Don’t you dare get huffy with the staff! Stan deserves the best care possible and he’s not going to get it if you’re bossy and nasty with the doctors and nurses. So just zip it, okay?”

“Are you telling me how to handle the people who are in charge of my father’s life?”

Jen shook. She pushed her index finger in Marcy’s face. “Damn right I am. You shut the hell up and leave these people alone. They’re doing everything they can to save Stan. And your bad attitude is not helping. Go home! Leave him to the professionals.” With hands on hips, Jen stared at Marcy.

“I’m only trying to help.”

“You really want to help? Go home. Come back at five.”

“You want him to yourself!”

“He’s my husband. Just go home. Okay?”

Marcy huffed out of the room. Jen blew out a breath. “Thank God,” she muttered to herself.

Afraid to be too hopeful, Jen couldn’t help but think that things were going to get better. She talked to Stan, like nothing ever happened.

“Sweetheart, I’m not sleeping well. So, I’m going to go home and take a nap. Then I’ll walk Willie and come right back. I want to be here when you wake up. Love you.” She bent to kiss him, then made her way to the elevator.    


That's all. Thanks for stopping by. I wish you and your loved ones a happy Thanksgiving. 

 



6 comments:

  1. Great scene. I love the way she stood up to her step-daughter. Hope he does improve. Miracles do happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect illustration of illness and tragedy causing family conflict to heighten. She did great, though, with Marcy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, isn't Marcy a shrew!?!?! Good for her for standing up to that cow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, that Marcy is a piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. I do not like her stepdaughter. What a brat! I can’t wait to see what happens when he wakes up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete