Tuesday, April 4, 2023

TUESDAY TALES - TOUGH

 




Welcome to Tuesday Tales! We're back with Robbie and Dale this week.  Our word prompt is "tough". When you finished my story, hop on over to the other authors to read their works. Find them HERE

                                  **************************************

Dale couldn’t believe her ears. Robbie wanted a family? When did this metamorphosis take place?“Since I see how happy a family can be, like yours,” he said.

Silence. Her parents glanced at each other over the table before making flimsy excuses to leave. They pushed to their feet, grabbed the dishes, and fled to the kitchen. Robbie kept eating. He finished his sandwich, then polished off the sweet potatoes left on his plate. Dale continued to stare.

“Is that so?”

“A guy can change his mind.”

“Really?” She raised her eyebrows.

“I’ve never seen how a normal family is. I like it.”

“Oh, and now, all of a sudden, you want one of your own? Like that ice cream cone looks good, Mommy. Buy me one, too?” Dale picked at the food remaining on her plate. 

“That’s harsh. Aren't you being a little tough on me?”

“Having a family like mine takes work. Tons of commitment. And patience. Don’t think my parents always get along. Sometimes they don’t. But they’ve stuck it out…together. Now you’re willing to do that?”

Robbie took her hand in both of his. “I could do it if I had a woman like you.”

“Me?” Her voice went up an octave.

“Yes. You’d be worth it.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

Her eyes wetted. “Do you mean that or are you just saying it to please my family?”

“You should know me well enough now to know I’d never do that. I don’t give a rats ass what most people think. But I do care what you think of me. What do you think of me?”

Dale freed her hand and sat back. “What do I think? I think there are many layers to you. That you’ve been dealt a bad hand in life regarding family. A winning hand in football, but a definite loser in relationships.”

“That’s pretty accurate.”

“And so? What do you think of me?” she asked.

He reclaimed her hand and held it to his lips. “I think you are a rare gem. One that comes along maybe once in a lifetime. And I’m in love with you.”

“What?” She jumped to her feet. “No way. You’ve told me you’ve never been in love.”

“Right. I haven’t. But I am now.”

“And you know that how?” She returned to her seat.

                           

                              ******************************************

That's all. Thanks for stopping by. 

6 comments:

  1. Talk about laying your cards on the table. Really hope it works out for him. He had a rough go of things. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, he's laying his cards on the table. Brave guy, and ready for a new life. I love how she is shocked and somewhat disbelieving. I hope he can help her understand that he's not just superficially enamored by the idea of love. He's really in love with HER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, he put it all out there for her. Great snippet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOh. Nice!! I like how this is progressing. She's right to doubt him though. It's quite the turnaround for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!!! I love, love, love this scene! We all knew he'd have a change of heart - but how it all came about it so wonderful and written so true and lifelike. I love how this has turned the tables on Dale now. Now...to see how she responds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love his honesty! Ooh, that heated up quick. I can’t wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete