Monday, November 1, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "ARM"

 


Welcome to Tuesday Tales. We have another episode of  "Sarah's Dilemma" and an encounter between our plucky heroine and the richest man for miles around, Elijah Fitch, father of Benjamin. The word prompt is "arm." To return to read all the fabulous stories at Tuesday Tales, click HERE. Thank you for stopping by.


*****************************************


“It’s a shame to waste such finery.”  Sarah pulled a handkerchief from her pocket and reached out to wipe the mud away. Elijah Fitch raised his arm to fend her off.

“Don’t be bothering, Miss Chesney. I don’t need help from the likes of you,” he bit out.

Sarah took a step back as if his words had slapped her in the face. “Beg pardon?”

“I know who you are. No –what you are. Get on with you.” He attempted to shoo her away. “I hear what people are saying about you. Lowly creature. Stay way from my son.”

The sting of his words stole her breath.

“He doesn’t need the likes of you bringing him down. Ruining his reputation. Hear me?”

She nodded and blinked back tears.

“He doesn’t want to have anything to do with you,” Fitch sneered.

“Did he say that?”

Fitch brought his chin up and looked away. “He doesn’t have to. I’m his father. I know what he’s thinking.”

His words emboldened Sarah. “I don’t think you do. I don’t think you know much about your son at all.”

“Oh, and you do?” He held his handkerchief to his shoulder.

“Maybe. He’s a much finer person that you say.”

“Hah! Surely much too fine a person to consort with the likes of you. Go to Josiah Quint. He’s the one who ruined you.”

“He did no such thing.” 

“So he’s cast you aside, has he?”

She stuck out her chin. “He has not. If it’s any of your business. He proposed to me.”

“Fine. Saved by an honorable man. I’ll tell Benjamin he doesn’t have to worry about you chasing after him and his money anymore.”

“I told him ‘no’. I’m not marrying anyone.”

“You’d better take him up on it. No one else will have you. And certainly not my son. He can have his pick of any of the young ladies of breeding in Danbury. And when he’s ready to marry, we will find the right one.”


That's it. Thank you for coming. Hope to see you next week. Please leave a comment -- I love feedback. 

5 comments:

  1. What a mean man. Poor girl. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unpleasant snob! He needs a swift boot. I'm glad she stuck up for herself but sorry he hurt her feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. I do not like him whatsoever. I kind of want to hit him with a shoe. I love her strength dealing with him. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! talk about a jerk! Well done on nailing an actual jackass. :)

    ReplyDelete