Tuesday, October 26, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "SWEET"


 

Welcome! It's time for Tuesday Tales again. And we have another episode in the sweet historical novel, "Sarah's Dilemma." Don't forget to return and read the excellent writers on Tuesday Tales. Just click HERE to go back. Thank you for stopping by.


**************************************  


By mid-June, the scandal had died down some and Sarah finally ventured out to the general store on her own. Mr. Austin, who’d yanked his sons away from her tutoring after the accusations, approached her in the feed section of Rhodes’ store.

“Good day, Miss Chesney.” He removed his hat and held it in both hands.

Sarah stiffened, then curtsied. “Good day, Mr. Austin. How are Matthew and William?”

“Fine, fine.”

Sarah brushed by him, anxious to avoid his glare and nasty words. She hastened to the corner to get a bag of chicken feed.

Austin followed her. “Wait!”

She stopped, her face heated. She held her breath.   

He cleared his throat before speaking. “Please, Miss Chesney. My boys. Well. They miss your tutoring.”

“They do?” Sarah raised her eyebrows and turned to face him.

Austin nodded. “Yes, Missy, they do. They want to come back. I see how good their counting and adding is. They’re smarter. You did that.”

Sarah narrowed her eyes. “So, now it’s okay for them to be around me. But before it wasn’t?”

“I apologize. I shouldn’t have said those things to you.” His face pinked.

“I agree.”

“I was wondering. If you have the time. I mean. Would you take it on my boys again? I’m the one who hastened to judgment. Why should they suffer?”

“True. They are good boys.” She took a deep breath. 

“Would you accept my apology and consider tutoring them?”

Sarah nodded.

“Thank you. Thank you kindly. My wife said she’d send along two pies next time, too.  She makes the best beef and onion pie and a sweet apple one, too.”

“I look forward to it.” She turned away.

“One more thing.”

Sarah faced him again and cocked an eyebrow.

“William’s been howling how he misses that silly goat, Sunshine. Would you let him have a visit with her, if it’s not too much trouble?”

“Since the schoolhouse hasn’t been repaired yet, I'll tutor them at the Inn. William can see Sunshine every day we have lessons.”

“Mighty kind of you, Miss Chesney. Mighty kind. Shall I send them by beginning of the week?”

“Yes.” 


*********************************************

That's it for this week. Don't forget to leave a comment. Your feedback is always welcome! 


4 comments:

  1. I love this scene. It would've taken a lot for the man to apologize and the fact that Sarah accepts and agrees to tutor the boys once more speaks volumes about her character. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way he found it in himself to apologize for his wrongful treatment of her and the gracious way she accepted and is again tutoring the boys. Great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Good on both of them for acting like adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww! This is a wonderful scene! I'm so glad he apologized (without having to eat TOO much crow!) And they way she handled their interaction was superb! Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete