Monday, March 22, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "GLASS" - MORE OF "TOO LATE FOR GOODBYE."

 






Welcome! This week we have the word "glass" as a word prompt to fashion our stories around. I have another excerpt of "Too Late for Goodbye." Scroll down to return to the excellent stories on Tuesday Tales. Comments are always welcome. Thanks for stopping by. 

*******************************

So busy with dinner, baths, and getting the kids to bed, she didn’t have time to think about her life until eight o’clock. She slipped off her watch, poured a glass of wine, sat on the sofa, and called Marty.

“Just wanted to tell you that Aunt Laura is giving us the apartment for the week. What else is there to do in Pine Grove, besides baseball?”

“That’s great. Uh, well, there are lots of things to do. We have a playground, and hiking trails.”

“That’s a start. The kids are super excited.”

“Me, too. I used to go regularly. Got to know a few of the players.”

“Ethan's so excited. Look, I know you gave me too low a price because I’m a widow and you like my kids. My husband left a special fund for me to start a business in case something happened to him. So I have the money to pay.”

A soft chuckle met her ears. “I’ve been avoiding my brother because I knew he’d kill me when he found out what I quoted you.”

“Okay. So, give me a new one. A real one this time.”

“I hope this works, Jen. I think it’s a revolutionary idea.”

Heat warmed her cheeks. “Thanks. You’re the first man to say that. I know Bill would support me, but the husbands of my friends all think it’s nuts.”

“Don’t let their BS get in the way. Go for it.”

“I will.”

Silence. A dozen phrases about how much she was looking forward to seeing him buzzed through her head, but she discarded them. Meeting guys was a whole new thing. Totally out of her element, she had no idea what to say.

Marty spoke up first. “Well, it’s late. Have a peaceful night. I’ll get that quote to you tomorrow. Take care. See you soon.”

“Goodnight.” She clicked off the phone and slapped her forehead. “What am I an idiot? Can’t make conversation anymore?” Frustrated, she opened her laptop and Googled “the art of dating after thirty.”

Picking up her wine glass, she clicked on the one titled, “How to talk to men you want to sleep with, but don’t want them to know.”  Sitting back, she took a sip and read.

 


BACK TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE


6 comments:

  1. That book she's reading would be a bestseller I'm sure. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She treated him with integrity, and that bodes well for them. LOVE the final two paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Love the google topic and the name of the article she clicked on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your snippet. So realistic, I feel like a fly on the wall watching something that's really happening. But that's not unusual with your writing. That's a talent you have.
    The only complaint I have with your snippets ... they always end when I want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I love how she’s stumbling to figure out the dating thing. The article title is priceless! Great job!

    ReplyDelete