Monday, February 22, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "SCOUT" - MORE OF "TOO LATE FOR GOODBYE"



Welcome! Times for Tuesday Tales again. We have another short episode of "Too Late for Goodbye" today. The book is chugging along. I'm expecting it to be published in later March. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by. 


***************************************** 


“Baseball is all Ethan can talk about since we got home from Pine Grove. He’s begging me to take him to a game.”

“Really?”

“You had quite an impact on him. I think he really misses his father.”

“Understandable. We have a local minor league team. The Jefferson Jaguars. If you want to come out, I’ll scout up tickets.”

“Really? That would be fantastic.”

“Consider it done. Just give me a couple of dates.”

“I’ll text you.”

Marty lost track of time. Playing ball with Ethan, helping with the barbecue and cleaning up afterward ate up his afternoon. By eight o’clock he was on the bus. His phone rang.

“I’ve texted you twenty times. Called you five. Where the fuck have you been?”

“Oh, Flint. I’m sorry. I had my phone in my briefcase.”

“Wonderful. I was ready to call the FBI and report you missing! Listen, you dick, don’t ever do this to me again.”

“I’m sorry. You’re right. I should have called. I’m on the bus now.”

“I hope the sex was good. Tell me that at least the sex was good.”

“There was no sex. I played ball with her son and listened to knock-knock jokes from her daughter, Sophie, ate homemade soup, two hot dogs and a hamburger.”

“Jesus! No sex?”

“You heard me.”

Flint chuckled. “Sounds like you had a great time.”

“And I brought in some business, too. I think she’s going to use us.”

“You didn’t give her a quote yet, did you?”

“Nope, but whatever she gets, we’re going lower.”

“Oh, really?”

“Even if I have to make up the difference myself.”

He heard laughter. “From my tight-fisted brother, that’s love.”

Marty chuckled. “Can’t talk. I’m on the bus. Pulling in at ten thirty.”

“I’ll be there.”

Click. Flint hung up. Marty stared out the window, but all he saw were lights in people’s windows in large apartment buildings. Families, husbands, wives, kids –reading bedtime stories, washing up, getting ready for sleep. Men and women, preparing for love. He sighed. Loneliness washed over him. Didn’t matter what time he got home –except for his brother, no one knew where he was or even cared.


BACK TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE



















6 comments:

  1. That last line crushed me. So powerful. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I can feel the longing he has for her and the loneliness he is experiencing. Such deep emotions! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that last line was SO darn sad. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, he needs a family life. I hope this relationship works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with the others. The last line put a knife in my heart, aching for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. Great post. He clearly likes her and so sad at the end.

    ReplyDelete