Monday, February 1, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "ANXIOUS" - MORE OF "TOO LATE FOR GOODBYE"

 


Welcome! This week's word prompt is "anxious." We have another episode of "Too Late for Goodbye." Marty is in Jen's home to give her a printing quote. Or is he there to ask her out? You decide. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. 


****************************************


Jen ladled out a big bowl of soup and placed it in front of him. Then she popped some bread into the toasted.

“I love toast with soup. I’ll be right back.”  She left the room.

The steaming bowl smelled heavenly. He filled his spoon, then blew on it. The first taste was amazing. Carrots? Ginger? Whatever it was, it was delicious. Jen called in from another room, chattering away. He couldn’t make out most of what she said, which made him anxious.

“Here it is. Here. Look at this.” She held a huge folder, specially made to hold the project, he figured. She laid it on the table and opened it.

“See? It’s a newspaper.”

“A newspaper?” He raised his eyebrows. “You want me to print a newspaper?”

“Not just any newspaper. It’s only for good news. See?  The masthead? It’s says ‘Good News”.” The toast popped up.

“Did you write this?”

“Oh no. I wrote the editor’s column. My friends, parents at the kids’ school wrote the rest. It’s really good. Stories from all over. But just happy stories. Stories with good endings. Nothing negative.” She buttered it and put two more pieces in.

“A good news newspaper? Brilliant.”

She shot him a smile that would melt a glacier. He felt heat all the way to his toes.

“A lot of people thought it was dumb. But I did it anyway.” She put one piece on his plate and one on hers.  

“I don’t think it’s dumb at all.” He picked up the toast.

“Good. Then you can help me. I have money.”

‘Okay. Let’s talk specifics.”

She plopped down on a chair. “I’m glad you’re taking me seriously. Not everyone does.”

Marty ripped off a piece of toast. “Who said a beautiful woman can’t have brains, too?”


BACK TO TUESDAY TALES  


MY WEBSITE

4 comments:

  1. A newspaper filled with only good news would indeed be a wonderful idea! Love the last line. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read a newspaper with only good news!! Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an innovative paper this would be! It reminds me of small town newspapers of the past, where there was more good news than bad. I like how excited she is about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this is a newspaper about good news stories. When the pandemic started, Ali and I watched a show called SGN that was stories of good news. It got me through the first few months. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete