Monday, October 19, 2020

TUESDAY TALES


 

Welcome! Our word prompt this week is "multiply". We have another snippet from "The Kiss". Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thank you for coming. 


***********************************************


As they wended their way through the enormous animal park, Allison and Don fell into their old ways. They talked about what it was like to have a middle schooler, swapping stories about their boys driving them crazy. Always ahead, the boys were in their own world.

“Robbie faces off with me at the slightest disagreement. He’s so sensitive. And controlling!”

“Alex and I wrestle to see who’s going to cook dinner. Half the time, I let him win.”

Laughter came as easy as it had five years earlier. Finally, Don grew serious.

“Mary and I divorced four years ago.”

Allison looked at her hands before facing him. “I know.”

“Alex?”

She nodded. “Seems he and Robbie have been in close communication.”

“Yeah. Should’ve figured.” They fell into an easy step as they strolled together to the next exhibit.

“Spencer and I split up, too.”

“Alex told me.” He steered them toward the elephants, where the boys were headed.

She laughed. “Boy, they should write a spy novel together. What a couple of plotters!”

“They wanted to get us together. Why do you think that is?” Don smiled.

“Oh, I can guess why Robbie did it.”  Allison fussed with the hem of her T-shirt.

“Can you?”

“Yes. But you’ll never pry it out of me.”

“I know why.” He took her hand, closing his fingers gently around hers.

“You do?” She raised her eyebrows. His statement multiplied her curiosity. 

 “Of course.”

“Well, aren’t you going to tell me?” She shot him a flirtatious glance.

“Should I? You wouldn’t tell me.”

“I’m guessing it’s the same reason.” She tightened her grip on his hand.

“Maybe it is.”

“Come on. The suspense is killing me.”  She stopped and faced him.

“Okay. Alex told me that I was happier when I was with you than I was with Mary. Happier meaning, nicer. Nicer to him. And he’s happier when I’m with you than with his mother.”

Allison took a deep breath.

“Is that what you were going to say?”

“In a nutshell. Sort of. Robbie didn’t fight us about the divorce. He seemed relieved. Later, much later, he told me the same thing. Asked me how come I was so different when I was with you than when I was with Spencer.”

“And what did you tell him?” Don stopped.

“I said I didn’t know and changed the subject.” She looked up at the sky.

He narrowed his eyes and dropped her hand. “That’s not true.”



Back to Tuesday Tales

5 comments:

  1. Great scene. Nice to see them opening up to one another. Hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad they are starting to talk honestly with each other. It's wonderful how the youngsters are favorable to their being together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Wonderful honesty here on his part....she was a little more reticent, but she does know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear their story and I love the fact they are talking. Can’t wait to hear more about them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete