Monday, June 1, 2020

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "JAR"


Welcome! This week our word prompt is "jar". We have another episode of my pandemic romance called "Unforgettable." This one is milder than the last, I promise! Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales and the excellent stories there. Thank you for stopping by. 



*************************************

Sue knocked. “Cary? I’m sorry, dear. I apologize. I’ll stay home from now on.”
“Do you promise?” He didn’t open the door.
“I promise. You can come out now.”
“No, I can’t. You have to move away. Back into the living room.”
“What?”
“We have to do social distancing here. I can’t come near you. We have to stay separate.”
“But I’m fine.”
“Today. But what about tomorrow? I’ll bring home a test so we can see if you’re all right. But until we have those results, I have to stay away from you. It’s not personal. It’s about the people at the hospital.”
“But you’re exposed to them.”
“I wear protective gear. Scrubs, mask, gloves.”
Silence.
“Sue?”
“I heard you. Okay. Whatever you say. You’re the doctor. You know best.”
“Thank you.”
“I’m going to my room. Will I see you for breakfast?”
“No. I’ll be leaving at six fifteen.”
“Oh. Okay then. Have a good day tomorrow.”
“Goodnight, Aunt Sue. Thanks for understanding.”
“You know I don’t really understand. But I’ll do as you say.”
“Trust me. It’s the only way to stay safe. Aunt Sue?”
“Yes?”
“I’m sorry I yelled at you.”
“It’s all right, dear. I’m sure you’re under a lot of pressure.”
“You have no idea. Goodnight.”
“Okay. Goodnight, dear. Sleep tight.”
He smiled. No one had said those words to him since he was twelve. After her footfalls grew faint, he opened the door. Into the bathroom he went and scrubbed down with soap. Then added a few squirts from his jar of Purell.
He undressed and got into bed and pulled up the suspense book he’d been reading on his phone. He reread the same sentence four times before putting it down. He set the alarm and put it on the nightstand. Since arriving in New York, he hadn’t been able to focus on anything except the pandemic. And the people who’d died.
Cary flicked off the light and rolled onto his stomach, tucking the pillow beneath him. He closed his eyes but the faces of the people he’d lost appeared. Finally, exhaustion took over and he drifted off  into dreamless sleep.

RETURN TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE 

5 comments:

  1. Well done. Hoping things really do improve in the next few weeks, not just for Cary, but for the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor man. It IS hard to focus. I'm glad he got the fleeting comfort of the "sleep tight" and that he didn't dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! It is incredibly hard to focus during all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with him. It's hard to focus. I'm in heartache all the time over all this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one of the things I had a hard time with - the ability not to focus. And it has to be five times harder working on the front line. Great job!

    ReplyDelete