Monday, June 29, 2020

Tuesday Tales - Word Prompt "Bite"



Welcome! This week we have the final episode of the pandemic romance/women's fiction story. Why? Because the story will soon be out and you can read it in its entirety for free.  Next week, I'll be starting a new story that I'm writing now. 
So this week, the story is a little longer, giving you a tiny taste of what's to come. Thank you for following along on this story. I know it's been very sad in places and hard to take. I appreciate every comment and every person who took the time to read each episode. 
Thanks for stopping by. 


************************************


He took a deep breath before imparting the bad news. “Sue has the virus.”
“Oh no!” She gripped the doorknob.
“Yes.” Emotion choked him. He hung his head for a moment to regain control.
“Oh, God. I’m so sorry.” Sarah took one step closer, her hand reaching out to him before she halted, abruptly returning to a safe distance.
“I don’t know how she’s doing to do. I’m giving her a week, maybe less, to beat it. If things don’t go well, I’ll take her to the hospital. In the meantime, I’m in a tight spot.” The truth bit at his pride. 
 She cocked her head.
“I have to move out. But I don’t want to go to a hotel.”
She raised her eyebrows. “You want to stay here?”
“I could keep an eye on Sue, who has to self-quarantine fortwo- weeks. If she gets worse, I’ll take her to Empire.”
“Of course.” Sarah nodded. 
“She said you have an extra bedroom.” Cary shifted his weight. His discomfort reminded him of the first time he asked a girl to dance. In the seventh grade, wasn’t it?
Color suffused her face. She bit a fingernail.  
He held up his hand. He couldn’t blame her. “It’s okay. If you’re uncomfortable, I understand.” He stepped back. “I’ll work something out.”
Sarah reached out and grabbed his forearm. “Oh, no. Please. I’m happy to help. Oops! I’m sorry!” She snatched her hand away as if his arm were on fire.
He laughed. “It’s okay. You’re probably safe. But we can test to make sure. I’m fine. We get tested often, and I wear complete protective gear at the hospital.”
“Good.” She smiled. “Actually, I’ve been wanting to do something to help. But being locked down, I haven’t figured out what. This is perfect. Please, move into my spare room.”
“Thank you so much.” He blew out a breath.
“Thank you from me, too.” Sue called out.
“I can be ready in five minutes.” He disappeared but left the door open.
Cary returned. Sarah stepped back.
Worry about infecting Sarah clouded his mind.  

“Do you have a towel I could use? I need to wash up.” Was it nervy to ask to use her towels, too? What about soap? Shampoo? His pulse kicked up.
“Yes.” Sarah padded through the living room.
“After being in there with Sue, I think I should shower and wash these clothes. Even though we were social distancing, can’t be too careful. I don’t want you to get sick.”
Sarah returned carrying a blue towel. “I appreciate it. Here you go.” Their fingers brushed. He barely remembered the last time he’d touched a human hand without wearing gloves.
“Do you have a washer here, too?” He hesitated to step into her apartment without an invitation.
She nodded and pointed. “Just like Sue has. It’s over there. Come on in.”
He entered and turned right. “You might want to turn around.” He unbuttoned his shirt.
Sarah blushed to the roots of her hair and scurried into a room in the back. Her bedroom, he guessed. Cary chuckled to himself as he removed the rest of his clothing and threw it in the wash.

**************

4 comments:

  1. You did a good job with a difficult topic. I truly hope his aunt survives. Best of luck with this and stay safe. This pandemic is far from over, even if your story is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great snippet. Best wishes with the publication. I didn't see the word bit but I may have been having a testosterone moment- LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great description of interactions that are hard to navigate. I hope all goes well for him and his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how bashful they both were about making arrangements for him to live there. And am I wrong that I got a little excited at the end when he got undressed in her apartment? *fans self* Great job!

    ReplyDelete