Monday, February 24, 2020

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "CARELESS"


Welcome to Tuesday Tales. Our word prompt this week is "careless." Another episode of "The Chase," is up. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by. 


*********************************


“I’ve called ten modeling agencies and no one’s heard of a Gwen Morgan.” Rennie pushed to her feet and strolled to the window. She eased the curtain aside. Peering out the window, she stared at the fat snowflakes falling. Lights from the street lamps gave the scene a silvery Disney-movie feel. She frowned.
“Damn snow.”
“It’s snowing?” Tim jumped up and joined her at the window. “Shit. I have to work tomorrow.”
“Aren’t you working now?”
“Well, yes. I am supposed to get a release signed from this Morgan person.”
“So there. You’re working.”
“It’s sticking.”
“I’m hungry. Let’s order pizza.” Rennie licked her bottom lip.. “Meatball, pepper and mushroom. Healthy.”
He laughed. “I wouldn’t exactly call that healthy. But I do have a small expense account. I can pay.”
She smiled. “Great! I’ll get the number.”
Tim took out his phone. “Want anything to drink?”
“Yeah. Coke.” She plopped back down on the sofa and picked up the address book.
Tim made the call. “You have any booze?”
“I have wine.”
“Red or white?”
“Red.”
“Good.”
Rennie produced two wine glasses and an unopened bottle.
“I’ll do that.” Tim took the corkscrew.
“I can do it.”
“Yeah, but I don’t mind.”
It had been a long time since a man had offered to open a bottle of wine for her. Or buy her dinner either. She watched him go through the motions, easily uncorking the merlot. He tossed the cork carelessly on the table.
“Don’t think we’ll be needing that.”
She glanced up at him. “Really? We’re going to drink the whole bottle?”
Tim gestured to the window. Looks like we’ll be snowed in before long. Besides, we’ve got a shit-ton of work to do. Do you want to go through the address book or sort the papers?”
“I’ll do the address book.” She bit her lip. “Maybe we should have ordered two pizzas?”
“I did.”
“Oh?” She raised her eyebrows. “You figure to be here late, huh?”
“Maybe all night. If that’s what it takes to find Gwen Morgan.” He wore an impish grin. “That okay with you?”
Rennie swallowed. Damn, up all night with an attractive man in a snowstorm with pizza. Was she living in a romance book or what? “Sure. Whatever it takes.”
“Right. Whatever it takes.”
The buzzer sounded. When Tim got up to answer, Rennie poured the wine and took a big gulp.


4 comments:

  1. Love this, especially the line about living in a romance book. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Trapped in a snowstorm with a hot guy drinking wine and eating pizza. A little envious of her. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Tricia - a mite jealous of their predicament. Ahhhhh...what a place to be stuck in a snowstorm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want a snowstorm and some pizza. I love the dialogue here.

    ReplyDelete