Monday, July 8, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - PROMPT "WEAK"



Thanks for coming. This week the word prompt is "weak." We have another episode of my Urban Fantasy, "Midnight in Central Park."
Scroll down for more Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by. 

******************************



“Nothing. Nothing you dickwad!” Spider said.
His ape-like friend stood up and shook his head.
Fear spiked through me. The adrenaline rush almost made my heart burst.
“Don’t you dare shake your head!” I rushed over to Ma and felt her neck. I didn’t get a pulse. But what does a jerk-faced kid like me know about finding a pulse, anyway. I kept searching.
“Call 911,” I hollered over my shoulder.
‘Like Hell. Get him,” Spider called out.
“Damn you!” I yelled as I dialed.
“She’s dead, kid. She od’d. Put down the phone.” Spider fisted his hand.
“No!”
The ape approached. I knocked over a chair blocking him and fled. Not waiting for the elevator, I hit the stairs, going full out. They were right behind me. The big guy couldn’t catch up, but Spider gained on me with every level.
When I hit the street, I headed for the subway. Hearing a train approaching the station, I jumped the turnstile and waited for the doors to open. Sweat poured down my face. My heartbeat was so hard and fast I couldn’t hear anything else.
I made my way through one car, stopping only for a second to check behind me. Both the Ape and Spider flew down the stairs. As the doors were closing, the big guy jammed his hand between the doors, which popped open. The two of them got on and the doors closed.
I kept going, from car to car until the train stopped at 79th Street. I took the stairs two at a time and headed for the only safe place, Central Park.  I managed to keep going until I got to the turtle pond. Almost out of breath, I staggered down the path, stopping in front of ole Jag. My legs weak, my lungs screaming, I couldn't move. 
Spider and the Ape caught up.
“Listen, kid. You gotta forget what you saw.” The Ape fisted his hand.
“You kneeling over my mother?”
“Yeah. Forget it. Okay?”
“Never. That’ll be burned on my brain forever. You murdered her.”
“Honestly, it was an accident. An overdose,” Spider said.
“Fuck that.”
The sky darkened. I looked up to spy clouds moving over the bright moon, hiding it. More clouds rolled in. They roiled and twisted. The low rumble of thunder vibrated through the air. Spider and the Ape became shadows before me.
Thunder grew louder. It seemed to draw nearer as the sound magnified. I put my hands over my ears. A loud crack coincided with a bolt of lightning that hit ole Jag and his steed. I shut my eyes, until I heard the loud whinney of a horse.  


6 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! The poor kid. I hope those goons get what's coming to them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to say "wow!" also! That was intense--great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very exciting snippet this week! And a wild dash for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intense! My heart was pumping as I was racing along with him. Starting to panic when they caught up with him...but BOOM! Now I can't wait to read the next few paragraphs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, fantastic job of moving each action along so clearly and with such intensity. I am glad the supernatural in intervening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No! His poor mom! And that was super intense. I can’t see what Jag does. Great job!

    ReplyDelete