Monday, October 8, 2018

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "GREEN" - MORE RENOVATING THE BILLIONAIRE


Welcome! The word prompt this week is "green." We have another excerpt from "Renovating the Billionaire." Scroll down to return to the excellent writers on Tuesday Tales. 
Thanks for stopping by.


**************************************

Jess pulled into the driveway of the broken-down mansion. Her workday over, she stopped to take a look at the old place for the millionth time. After getting out of her car, she stretched her arms high. Exhaustion crept along her spine. Though only five o’clock, Jess had been up and working for twelve hours. Pie baking started early.
She moseyed over to the back and eased down on the grass. June air hung heavy with the promise of flowers and vegetables sprouting in the sun. Leaning back on her elbows, she eyed the building. Picking a tall, green blade of grass, she stuck it in her teeth, then spoke out loud.
“If the wood’s not rotten, I’d repair the back porch. Hang a feeder there. Maybe get a rocking chair.”
A short male laugh startled her. She sat up straight like a bolt of lightening hit her.
“Chip? Chip Matthews? What are you doing here?”
“Might ask you the same question.” He leaned up against a tree, his eyes slowly traveling her length.
Jess scrambled to her feet, brushing the twigs and leaves from her butt.  
“Nothin.”
“Talkin’ to yourself? That’s not a good sign, Jess.”
“None of your business. I gotta git home.”
As she brushed past him, he grabbed her arm. “Wait.”
“What for?”
“We got some unfinished business.”
“Not that I see. Let me go.”
He dropped his hold, but his gaze connected with hers. “I’m sorry.”
“Sorry about what?” she asked, tossing her long locks.
“’Bout everything. You. Me. Lucky.”
“Yeah, sure,” she said, but didn’t move. “You got Kathy now. Don’t worry about me. I can take care of myself.”
“Got a horse fixin’ to foal soon. Thought you might like to have it.”
Her eyes widened, her throat ran dry. Chip cupped her cheek. Tears stung the backs of her eyes, but she refused to give in. She brushed his hand aside and stepped back.
“Pa was right. We didn’t have money to feed a horse. Still don’t. So keep it. Thanks anyway.” Before he could answer, she trotted off to her vehicle and started the motor. She roared out of the driveway before Chip could catch up. Turning down the first dead end street, she stopped abruptly, rested her head on the steering wheel and let the tears flow.



5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these two are going to be the death of me. I hope they can work things out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this intense, emotional scene. My heart breaks for her, and I hope she will be able to accept his compassion and care in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what a sweet offer with the foal. So sad she can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stories and this is no exception. I love the characters, their emotions, their interactions. Wonderful snippet!

    ReplyDelete