Sunday, February 4, 2018

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "ANGRY"



Welcome! Our word prompt today is "angry." We have another episode of "Two of Hearts" with Jen this week. Scroll down to return to the excellent authors of Tuesday Tales. Thank you for stopping by.

*********************************** 


The pot was empty. She refilled it and hit “brew”. Next to the coffeemaker, but hidden by the sugar canister was an empty bottle. Jen pulled it out. A flask of brandy –empty. She nodded. That explained why Stan had been drinking so much coffee lately. A chill ran up her spine.
“That piece of shit! He couldn’t fuck his way out of a paper bag,” Stan roared from the living room.
The image tickled Jen. Walking into the living room with the empty in her hand, she laughed.
“That’s funny?”
“The image of Carl fucking a paper bag is damn funny,” she replied.
Stan calmed. “I suppose it is. Didn’t mean it to be.”
“He said he’d be married to me if you hadn’t of locked him in his room.”
Stan looked blank for a moment. “I don’t recall.”
“Whatever. Anyway, I fired him.”
“You did the right thing.”
“Yeah? Now we have no lawyer and no financial advisor,” she said.
“You’ll find someone else,” Stan said.
“What’s this about, Stan?” Jen held up the empty bottle.
“What? I like a little brandy with my coffee sometimes. It’s not against the law.”
“You’ve started drinking again, haven’t you?”
“Not really. Just a little here and there. Helps me sleep. Calms me down.”
“Drinking decaf might do the same thing.”
He stared at her, his mouth set in a hard line.
“How much are you drinking?” She asked.
“Just a shot in my coffee or a little vodka in my o.j.”
“This isn’t good. The doctor said…
“The doctor said a little is okay. If it makes me feel better, relaxes me so I can sleep, he said I could.”
“But how long before it escalates? You’ve been down this road before. I don’t need to tell you, do I?
 “I know, I know. I can control it this time. I’m not going to end up like that. Really. It’s okay, Jen. Stop hounding me.” He picked up his cane and hobbled toward the bedroom.
Her eyes watered. Life, control, order, and peace seemed to be disintegrating into chaos. All she needed was Stan to become addicted to alcohol again. He’d kicked it before she came along. There’d be no way she could stay and tolerate alcoholic behavior. But how could she leave him? Not only did she love him, but someone needed to take care of him. Of course, he had the money to pay someone, but that wasn’t the same as the care you got from someone who loved you.
She checked her watch. It was time to take Willie and Queenie for a walk. Thankful for the chance to get away for a bit, she called to the pooches, who trotted over. She stopped by the bedroom and called in to Stan.
“I’m taking the dogs for a walk. I’ll be back,” she said.
He didn’t respond. Either he was asleep or angry. She didn’t care. She silently thanked Mother Nature for a cloudy, cool day. They hit the Great Lawn. Jen broke the rules by letting the dogs go off-leash. Willie barked at Queenie and within the blink of a large, brown eye, the two were racing around chasing each other. Jen shut off troubling thoughts and watched, amused as the pugs played. Why couldn’t life be simple like that?



6 comments:

  1. At least Stan agreed with her firing the lawyer. I didn't realize there were 2 dogs, LOL. The drinking is definitely going to make things worse. I was amazed the bars on the ship opened at 6 in the morning. I suppose booze in OJ and coffee is reality for a lot of people, and that's sad-- said the woman who refused to have a mimosa before eleven. LOL Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy Stan is no longer raging at her and agreed to fire the lawyer. And I hope the alcohol stops before it starts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. He probably does need something to help him sleep, but with his addiction this doesn't bode well. Sad for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness. I hope things don't go down the path I fear they're headed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww. more and more burdens for her. sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Animals can be a solace when our world is troubled. I'm glad you have Willie and Queenie in here for her.

    ReplyDelete