Monday, September 25, 2017

TUESDAY TALES - SKIP QUINCY'S STORY CONTINUES - "COAT"

Welcome! The word prompt this week is "coat." Don't forget to scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales and read everyone's story. Thanks for stopping  by.

********************************

“Hey, engaged men first. We’ve got women waiting,” Matt Jackson, the catcher, said, giving Skip a playful shove.“Hey! You’ve already got someone. Doesn’t matter if you stink to high Hell. I’ve got a date.” Skip elbowed his way ahead toward the shower.

Jake and Bobby blocked his path.“Who’s the hot chick?” Jake asked.

“None of your business,” Skip replied.

“Oh ho! Wait a minute. If you won’t tell, then I must know her, right? Who is it?” Jake backed Skip to the wall.

“I said, none of your business.”

“It’s my business,” said Nat Owen, first baseman.

“Fuck off. All of you.”

“Come on. Tell us. We won’t give you a hard time,” Matt said, trying not to laugh.

“Yeah, right. I’ll never hear the end of it.” Skip tried to dodge his teammates.“We’re keeping you here until you tell us,” Jake said.

“Aw, leave him alone,” Bobby piped up.All heads turned to the second baseman.

“Wait a minute. We don’t need Skip to tell us. I bet Bobby knows,” Nat said.Bobby Hernandez backed away, his palms up. 

“No, no, I don’t. Honest. I don’t have a clue.”

“Yes, you do. Dickwad over here tells you everything,” Matt said, narrowing his eyes.

“Mimi Banner! Okay! Jesus Christ! Can’t a guy keep anything to himself?” Skip threw a towel in the dirty towel bin.

The men turned their gazes on him, but none said a word.“What are you looking at?”

“You’re dating Banner’s widow?” Matt asked.

“So?”

Matt shook his head. “Banner’ll come right up out of Hell and cut your balls off.”

Skip laughed, along with his teammates.

“Aren’t you, like, intimidated? Even a little bit?” Nat asked.

“He’s dead. Maybe he was a stud, maybe not. But he’s gone and she’s probably missing it. I can fix that.”

Bobby shook his head. “Playing with fire.”

“Why do you say that?”

Jake Lawrence, the third baseman, shrugged. “Don’t know. I heard he beat her up a couple of times. She might not be real interested in getting involved with another athlete.”

“I’d never do that. Besides, he took steroids. Maybe that had something to do with it,” Skip replied.

“I dunno.” Jake shrugged. “Seems there are plenty of other fish in the sea without messing with that hornet’s nest.”

"Don't sugarcoat it, Jake. Tell me how you really feel." 






6 comments:

  1. Oh boy, what a great scene! I hope he handles the widow tenderly. She's going to be extremely gun shy of another athelete I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I really like this. Your phrasing is so adroit, especially the line about her probably missing it. I look forward to more. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sexy pic there! :) Love the banter. This was great: “Banner’ll come right up out of Hell and cut your balls off.” Very realistic guy talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post-game banter. Well done. i felt like I was right there in the locker room. Love the hornet's nest image, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the locker room banter! And I can’t see where things go with Banner’s widow. I agree, she might be a bit gun shy to jump in with another athlete. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great snippet, Jean! I felt like I was right there in the locker room with them, like a fly on the wall.

    ReplyDelete