Extra long excerpt today as regular Tuesday Tales will be coming back very soon. I want you to have a good dose of this story before I take it off. If it's way too long, I apologize. Here's the next excerpt of "Someone Like You."
****************************************
Monday morning, dressed in her overalls, Charlotte
prepared scrambled eggs and bacon and sat down across from her father at their
little kitchen table for breakfast.
“You painting today or working on a new table?” he
asked.
“Painting. English department,” she replied before
shoveling a forkful of eggs into her mouth.
“Got a new job today at The Inn in Pine Grove. The
truck is loaded, so you can drop me off,” Tom said.
“Let’s stop at the hardware store. I need two more
cans,” Charlotte said. “I’ll be ready in ten,” she added, picking up the last
piece of bacon and hurrying out the door. Tom nodded, finished his food and
loaded the dishes in the dishwasher.
He pulled the truck up in front of Larch Hardware.
“Don’t be jawin’ forever with Derek,” he said, putting
the truck in park and turning off the ignition.
“I won’t,” Charlotte said.
Derek Larch, the son of the owner, flirted with
Charlotte every time she entered.
“Charlie! Been a long time. What can I do for you?” he
said, coming out from behind the counter and running his fingers through his
blond hair.
“Hi, Derek. Need paint.”
“What color?”
Charlotte gave him the paint specs, then picked out a
new roller and a roll of blue tape.
While the paint mixed, he wandered over. “Changed your
mind about marrying me?” he asked.
She laughed. “You ask me that every time. The answer
is still ‘no’.”
“Someday I’m gonna see you out of that baggy
jumpsuit.”
“Derek!” Charlotte drew her hand up over her chest and
feigned shock.
He colored. “Crap, you know what I mean. Dressed like
a girl.”
“Don’t hold your breath.” She wandered through the
woodworking tools section.
“How about a movie? Or dinner? Thursdays is meatloaf
night at Tony’s.”
“Thanks, Derek. I don’t think so.”
“Why not?”
She shrugged. How could she tell him Professor Mark
Garrett owned her heart, even though they’d never had a conversation? He didn’t
even know who she was. To the professor, she was simply “the painter”. Was it a
silly schoolgirl crush? Probably. But who did it hurt? Besides Derek?
“I like you, Derek. But as a friend.”
“Great.” He got the two cans of paint and rang up her
purchase. “Charge to the University?”
“Yep. Thanks, and take care,” she said, patting his
hand.
“You don’t know what you’re missing,” he said, handing
her a receipt.
“I’m sure.”
She felt his stare on her rear end. She grinned for a
second, glad the overalls were baggy enough to hide her curves well. Poor
Derek, staring when there was nothing to see.
As she approached the truck, her father spoke. “It’s
about time,” he said, staring at his watch.
Even though she didn’t do anything to encourage Derek,
she did get a secret pleasure out of his attention. His clumsy attempt at seduction
helped sand down the raw edges of her father’s gruffness.
“I’ll drive,” Charlotte said. Her father got out and
went around to the passenger’s side.
She climbed behind the wheel, stepped on the gas, and
made it to The Inn before ten, then helped her father unload his supplies. He
gave her a peck on the cheek. As she drove away, she waved.
Charlotte took a spot in the faculty parking lot. She hauled
her paint cans, brushes, rollers, blue tape, and drop cloth into her brother’s
new office. Once she had everything moved away from the wall, and covered with
the drop cloth, she walked down to the janitor’s closet. There she found the
step ladder she needed.
She taped the top of the walls, then painted the
ceiling. When she finished, she stopped to take a bathroom break. One look in
the mirror confirmed her guess that her face was splattered with tiny splotches
of paint. Fortunately, the cap covered her hair completely and some of her face.
Getting white paint out of dark auburn hair would be a giant pain.
She wiped her cheeks off and returned to the room. She
finished removing the tape, and then applied some to the ceiling. Finishing up,
she heard voices in the hall. She peeked around the corner. It was her brother
and Professor Garrett! And they were right outside the door.
“Oh, Mr. Anderson, I found this book in your old
office. Poetry for your girlfriend? Those are favorite poets of mine, too.”
“Girlfriend? Let’s see,” there was silence for a
moment, then Corey’s voice continued with a laugh. “No, that’s not my
girlfriend. That’s my sister, Charlotte.”
“Oh? You have a sister?”
“Yes.”
“Does she go to school here?” the professor asked.
At this point Charlie silently snuck outside and stood
behind the professor’s back. She drew Corey’s attention and made a sharp motion
across her neck with her finger. Corey smiled. She glared and made the motion
again, then scooted back into the room and hid behind her roller.
“No, no. She doesn’t,” Corey said. “Say, look I’m
going to be late. I have a session with HR. Good to see you, Professor
Garrett,” Corey said, snatching the book from the professor’s hand and darting
down the hall. “Thanks for returning the book.”
When the voices stopped, Charlotte leaned back against
the unpainted door and sighed.
“Close call,” she whispered to herself.
She put down the roller, stood back and surveyed the
walls. They were pristine. And her paint job? Perfect, as usual. After she
finished, the bigger job began – cleanup. Washing brushes and the roller,
folding and discarding drop cloths, sealing up paint – not to mention getting
paint off her face, hands, neck, and fingernails. She didn’t bother cleaning
more than her hands, waiting to jump in the shower to get the rest. She
scrubbed her hands in the ladies’ room, put her tools in a satchel and ambled
down the hall.
A poster colored in bright pink and green drew her
eye. She stopped. It read:
The
Spring Dance is Coming
Saturday,
May 25, 8pm
The
Gym, Admission: $10.
Charlotte made a face and said to herself, “Hah!
That’s ten bucks I just saved.” When she got outside, the honking of her truck horn
got her attention. Corey sat in the passenger seat.
“I need a ride to town. Figured you wouldn’t mind.”
“I don’t. Where are you going?”
“Cleaners. Gotta pick up my sports jacket,” he said.
She put the vehicle in gear. “What do you need your
sports jacket for?”
“The dance. You going?”
“Me?” She gave a derisive laugh. “You kidding? No. Of
course not.”
“Really? That’s too bad. I heard Professor Garrett’s
going to be there,” he said, glancing out the window.
Charlotte screeched on the brakes.
“What the hell? What are you doing?” Corey said.
A driver leaned on his horn, then sped by, giving her
the finger.
“Sorry. I didn’t see that car.”
“I guess not.” Sweat beaded on Corey’s forehead.
“Are you sure Professor Garrett is going?” She glanced
in her rearview mirror before pulling out.
“Kitty asked him to chaperone,” Corey said.
“And he agreed? He seems too shy to want to do that.”
“Well, all the professors are required to do that
kinda stuff. That’s what Kitty said.”
They drove on for a half mile in silence.
“Change your mind?” her brother asked, raising an
eyebrow.
“Maybe,” she replied, pulling up to the curb.
While she waited for Corey, panic set in. What would
she wear? How would she do her hair? Makeup? All her makeup was about seven
years old. She sat back and pondered if she wanted to get back into that life –
the “glamour girl” life as her mother would have called it. Frilly dresses,
tons of makeup, fancy hairstyles – dating. She shivered.
After Bart broke her heart, she’d given it all up. No
matter how much she dressed up or flirted, in the end, he had chosen someone
else to propose to and she’d been left high and dry.
“I want a girly girl, Charlie. Not someone who’s
better with a hammer and a paintbrush than I am,” he’d said.
Her father and brother had been outraged. Charlotte
had simply been crushed. The one man she thought saw her for who she was had rejected
her. He married the prettiest girl in their high school class. Charlotte called
Lily the “Queen of D’s” and she didn’t mean bra size! Charlie had made the
honor roll every year.
After that, she packed away her makeup and her frilly
clothes and lived her own life in her own way. She’d given up on men until
Derek at the Hardware store came along. His attention tempted her. He was a
nice guy, maybe a little rough around the edges, but she felt no chemistry with
him.
Corey knocked on the window, interrupting her reverie.
“Got it. Let’s go,” he said, opening the truck door.
She turned on the vehicle and headed back to campus.
“You’re taking me back to school? Weren’t you heading
home?”
“Yeah, so?”
“Very nice of you, Sis. Thanks,” Corey said.
When they arrived at the small apartment building for
professors, he got out.
“Don’t forget about the dance,” he said.
“Yeah. Sure,” she said and waved as she pulled away.
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:
Post a Comment