Monday, March 25, 2024

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "SILVERY"

 





Welcome to Tuesday Tales, where authors write stories to a word prompt. This week the word prompt is "silvery" or any variation on the word "silver". We have another episode of "Two of Hearts". When you've finished my story, please hop on over to the other authors. Find their works HERE. 

 

                            *****************************************************


“Why are you doing this? Needling me?”

“Because that’s what friends do.”

“Give each other a hard time?”

“Push each other to be their best,” he said, picking up the salad tongs to add more to his plate.

Jen mulled over what he’d said. She couldn’t argue.

“Okay, so you’re right. Big deal.”

“The big deal is that you start writing. Tonight, after I leave. And that you write every night. Isn’t that what writers say? They have to write every day?”

She nodded. “Clare?”

“Yep. That’s what she’s told me a thousand times.”

“She’s right.”

“Damn, lady. You are some awesome cook,” he said, refilling their glasses. “You have to take care of Stan, but you have to take care of yourself, too. If you don’t, there will be nothing left to give him. And your marriage will die.”

His words terrified her. Already overwhelmed with the responsibility of taking care of Stan, now she had to dance to Terry’s tune and do the right thing for herself.

“I’m going to be checking up on you. Don’t think you can pretend to write. I’m going to want chapter and verse, lady.”

“I’m going to find Willie another girlfriend.” She frowned.

He laughed again, lifting his glass.

When she offered dessert, Terry patted his belly and shook his head. But she brought out zabaglione and strawberries anyway. When he saw the silver bowl full of tempting cream and juicy berries, his eyes grew wide.

She asked Terry a few pointed questions about things with Clare, but he didn’t have any answers and seemed reluctant to put their relationship on the examination table. She left it alone. Having a friend who cared enough to tell you the truth was rare. She wouldn’t wreck it by poking her nose into his business.  By nine, they had finished their meal.

“Why don’t you get Queenie and we can take the last walk together.”

“Sounds like a plan. I’ll be back in fifteen,” he said, scooting out the door.

The house tour would have to wait. Perhaps that was a good thing. Taking him into her bedroom, probably wasn’t a good idea at the moment. Shame filled her. As she hooked up Willie, she talked to the pug.

“It’s okay to think Terry’s hot, right? I mean, thinking someone’s hot isn’t doing anything about it, is it? Of course not. You’ll keep me safe, Willie, right?”



That's all for this week. Thanks for stopping by. 


5 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Of course, now I'm hungry for strawberries and cream. I wonder how this friendship will change when her husband comes home? Nothing wrong with window shopping as long as you stay outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh. I want that dessert and ooooh, I love that last line.... Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice how she can relax with him and yet allow him to push her to write for her own well being. I'm not sure Willie is up to the mission she gave him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't know about her entrusting her keeping safe to Willie. I have a feeling he's not going to help. Oh my, she's going to have a dilemma on her hands soon. I am sure enjoying this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that he is holding her accountable for not writing. (I kinda need him. Can you send him my way?) Love how their friendship has grown but ooops, is she developing feelings? Great job!

    ReplyDelete