Monday, May 15, 2023

PICTURE PROMPT - NEW STORY! TOO LATE FOR GOODBYE

 


Welcome! Sorry about leaving you hanging on The Kicker's Story last week, but it was necessary as the book is almost finished. So we start a new story today, "Too Late for Goodbye." 

It's picture prompt week. Stories are limited to 300 words. The picture I picked illustrates how close brothers Flint and Marty McKay are. They have always had each other's backs -- and engaged in a bit of rivalry growing up, too. You'll meet them now. Thanks for stopping by. (Scroll down for the link to the other Tuesday Tales stories.)


                     ********************************************************

Pine Grove

“Whoa! Who died?” 

“What?” Standing in front of the mirror, Marty McKay straightened his tie and glanced at his brother, Flint.

 “I mean, you’re wearing a suit, shirt, and tie. Going to a funeral?”

“Very funny.” Marty combed his short, brown hair over and over until it was perfect.

“I thought so.” Flint chuckled. “Seriously, what’s up?”

“I’m going to New York’s all.” He picked up his wallet and shoved it in his back pocket.

“Why?”

“I’m meeting a couple of clients.” Marty sensed heat in his cheeks at the lie.

“Clients? In the Big Apple?”

“Yes.” He fastened a watch on his wrist and faced his brother. “Remember the ad I put in the paper there? We got a couple of phone calls. I’m going in to see what the projects are.”

“Oh, yeah. I remember. Good idea.”  

“It’s business, so get off my back.”

Flint narrowed his eyes and stared at his brother. “One of ‘em wouldn’t be a pretty girl, by the name of Jenny, would it?”

Marty turned away so his brother wouldn’t see his blush. “Maybe.” He glanced at his watch. “I’m late. Give me a ride to the bus?”

“Sure.”

The two young men rode in silence. Marty stared at the new spring green leaves emerging on the trees. The caw of a crow caught his ear.

“I mean, if you’re going to see her, it’s okay with me.”  Flint turned right.

“I don’t need your approval.” Marty continued to stare out the window.

“I know. Just sayin’.”  

“I’m moving over to the Barrett house this weekend.”

Flint slowed for a stop sign. “You don’t have to leave, you know.”

“I’m not going to make a career out of being a third wheel. You’re married now, Flint. Everything is different.”


                        ************************************************


Click HERE to go to the wonderful Tuesday Tales stories!


5 comments:

  1. Aww, he feels left out since his brother's marriage. I look forward to seeing what occurs in New York! I love brother stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start to a new tale. And yep, third wheelin' is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! You used the puppy nose picture too! I love that picture. It's so sweet.
    Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this one is starting. And I can’t wait until he meets up with Jenny. Great job!

    ReplyDelete