Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt



 


Welcome! This week is picture prompt week. All stories must be 300 words or so. We have another bit from "The Kicker, Part 1", Don't forget to visit all the authors.  You'll find them HERE. Thanks for stopping by. 

********************************************

The waiter brought over the small platter with steak cooked to perfection, and lobster for Claire, Robbie’s date. The Kings were in Boston to play the Patriots.

Robbie always called Claire before he came to Boston. He treated her to a good meal and she treated him to a night of unbelievable sex. Seemed like a square deal to him.

“My mother keeps asking me when I’m going to get married,” the pretty blonde said, staring at Robbie.

The word, “married”, killed his appetite. He toyed with his food and avoided her gaze. “Yeah?”

“She asked about you. How you’re doin’ and stuff.”

“What did you tell her?”

Claire smiled. “I told her you were just fine. She wanted to know if you’re serious.”

“Serious? About what?”

“About us. She wants to know if you might be proposing to me anytime soon. We are great together, right?” She grinned as she cracked a lobster claw.

“Yeah, yeah. Great. We’re great. It’s just that I’m not ready to get married.”

“No?”

“No. And we only see each other like twice a year.”

“I could come to Connecticut. If you’re serious.”

A swift, sharp pain zinged through Robbie’s stomach.

“I’m sorry, Claire. I’m not ready to be serious yet.”

“You dating a lot of girls?”

“One or two. But you’re my number one in Boston.”

“Yeah?”

“You bet.” He smiled and picked up her hand. He brought it to his mouth. “Let’s enjoy dinner and not worry about plans right now.”

“Okay. You know how I feel about you, though, right?”

“Yeah, I do.” Robbie turned his attention back to his steak. He’d decided this would be the last date with Claire. She was amazing, but he felt the noose tightening and didn’t like it. She’d find someone else. Easy peasy.


**************************************



6 comments:

  1. "You're my number one in Boston" lol the clueless dolt! Loving this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they both have a big surprise ahead of them! I think Robbie is going to be singing a different tune soon.
    Great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, she's a bit pushy here, isn't she? I think I'd be out of there if the guy told me I was his number one in one city. EEP!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. Now I really want to see him squirm. I can’t wait for the next one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete