Monday, September 27, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "CARELESS"


 

Welcome to Tuesday Tales! This week's word prompt is "careless." We have another episode of "Sarah's Dilemma" this week. We find Sarah still in Benjamin's office after that kiss that burned.  Don't forget to read all the stories. You'll find them HERE. Thank you for stopping by.


*****************************************


Benjamin burst out laughing, his blue eyes sparkling with merriment. “Well, I guess that’s good then.”

Warm all over and feeling her face flushing, she picked at a cuticle. “Maybe we’d better get started. I mean, if you want to keep this a secret, I shouldn’t be away too long.”

“Oh, right, right. Can you come over here?” He gestured to the larger chair behind the desk. She settled in while he opened a ledger and pointed. 

Sarah spent the next hour doing arithmetic, and sharing corn muffins. She took her time. It wouldn't do to be careless and make a mistake on the Fitch's books, would it? She showed him what she’d done.

“You have to know it so if you’re asked, you can explain.”

“Right.” He nodded. "I understand."

She went over every column with a brief explanation. When she finished, Sarah wrapped herself in the shawl and picked up the empty basket. Ben opened the door.

“Thank you.”

She stopped and leaned against the door jamb. “Do you believe me?”

“You mean about Josiah?” he asked.

She hesitated. “Yes.”

“I do.”

“No matter what people say?” She lifted her eyebrows. 

“No matter what people say. I know you. You’re not a liar. And you’re not a hussy.”

 She smiled. “Thank you.”

“Can you come back next month?”

“Of course.” She reached up to touch his rough cheek before stepping out into the warm May sun. Ben brought her hand to his lips.

“There may be more copperheads out there. Or mountain lions. May I walk you home?”

She nodded, casting her glance away. 

Ben took his gun and joined her. His free hand laced with hers as they strolled along through the  tall grass and wildflowers toward the Inn.



That's all. Visit my website HERE

4 comments:

  1. Love this scene. I like the way she was able to use her head and not just her baking skills. More importantly, I like the fact that he was willing to listen to her. Great job. The walk home is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed their growing closeness and especially how he walks her home with his gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how she helps him and reminds him that he needs to remember it. I can see them as a great couple. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww! I love seeing them walk off together, hand in hand as he ensures her safety. Great scene!!

    ReplyDelete