Monday, July 12, 2021

Tuesday Tales - Picture prompt week




Welcome! This is picture prompt week. We have another episode of "Sarah's Dilemma".  Last time, Sarah wondered if she was old enough to marry. This is a sweet historical romance. We are limited to only 300 words. 

Comments are always welcome. Thanks for stopping by. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. 


****************************************

“Don’t fret about marriage, Sarah. It will come soon enough. Go help your grandmother and get some fresh air. It’s a beautiful day.”

“Come,” Sarah said to her sister, and offered her hand. Caleb set the child down and gave a nod to his other stepdaughter. Lizzy skipped down the stairs with Sarah close behind.

Martha Chesney, the girls’ grandmother, handed Sarah a large basket.

“Please gather some fresh wildflowers for our tables. My corn muffins will be ready when you return.”

Sarah took the basket in one hand and her sister in the other. They climbed the hill behind the Inn, their eyes searching the grass for colorful weeds and blooms. Lizzy tugged at Sarah.

“Look for milkweed and Queen Anne’s Lace, Lizzy.” Sarah let go of her sister’s hand.

“Buttercups!” Lizzy pointed then ran ahead to the bright yellow blossoms.

A rabbit in the field in front of her stood stock still. The lone bunny’s nose twitched. He’s alone, too. Bet he has a nice nest to return to and a wife to share it with. Tiptoeing forward, she sighed when the creature sped off into the morning sun.

Sarah shaded her eyes with her hand and scanned the horizon. Two male figures appeared, heading their way. One held a rope over his shoulder. She recognized her brother, Sam, by his gait. The swagger of the other boy toting a musket at his side identified him as Benjamin Fitch, son of the man who owned the town, Fitch’s Eddy.

Sarah spied a patch of daisies and bent down to pick some. Unaware she wasn’t alone, she caught movement in the grass out of the corner of her eye. She froze. There was only one creature that could move silently through the grass. A snake!

“Don’t move!” Ben yelled.

 

Back to Tuesday Tales

My website

6 comments:

  1. Excellent scene. I might obey the order not to move, but i would be screaming. I'm terrified of snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of when I was a little girl living on a farm and my mother would take my younger brother and me out walking in the fields. I remember seeing a snake and pointing it out to my mother. She grabbed our hands and we started running. Later she said she couldn't remember if she ran off and left us because she was that scared. I convinced her that she didn't leave us behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! What a place to stop! I love the description of the flowers but I want to know what happens with the snake. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be running right toward the bright yellow buttercups, too! And the snake-- time to freak out-- or freeze solid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YIKES! What a cliffhanger. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no.... you left us hanging with a snake lurking about!
    Great scene. I loved the name of the town - Fitch's Eddy.

    ReplyDelete