Tuesday, January 5, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "CLOCK" - NEW STORY!

 



Welcome! This week we start a brand new story, "Too Late for Goodbye." It's another Pine Grove tale. Our word prompt is "clock". Don't forget to scroll down and return to Tuesday Tales. Thank you for stopping by! 


******************************************************

Pine Grove

Standing in front of the mirror, Marty McKay straightened his tie.

“Whoa! Who died?”  

“What?” Marty glanced at his brother, Flint.

“I mean, you’re wearing a suit, shirt and tie. Going to a funeral?”

“Very funny.” Marty combed his short, brown hair over and over until it was perfect.

“I thought so.” Flint chuckled. “Seriously, what’s up?”

“I’m going to New York’s all.” He picked up his wallet and shoved it in his back pocket.

“Why?”

“I’m meeting a couple of clients.” Marty sensed heat in his cheeks at the lie.

“Clients? In the Big Apple?”

“Yes.” He fastened a watch on his wrist and faced his brother. “Remember the ad I put in the paper there? We got a couple of phone calls. I’m going in to see what the projects are.”

“Oh, yeah. I remember. Good idea.”  

“It’s business, so get off my back.”

Flint narrowed his eyes and stared at his brother. “One of ‘em wouldn’t be a pretty girl, by the name of Jenny, would it?”

Marty turned away so his brother wouldn’t see his blush. “Maybe.” He glanced at his watch. “I’m late. Give me a ride to the bus?”

“Sure.”

The two young men rode in silence. Marty stared out the window at the new spring green leaves emerging on the trees. The caw of a crow caught his eye.

“I mean, if you’re going to see her, it’s okay with me.”

“I don’t need your approval.”

“I know. Just sayin’.”

“Jackie Stone has moved into her house. I’m moving over to the Barrett house this weekend.”

Flint slowed for a stop sign. “Okay. You don’t have to leave, you know.”

“I’m not going to make a career out of being a third wheel. You’re married now, Flint. Everything is different.”

“I don’t want you to think you have to leave.”

“It’s my decision. And, yes, I do have to leave

. Living with newlyweds is depressing.”

“Thanks a pantload.”

“You know what I mean.”

“You need to find someone, Marty.”

“Duh.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll stop.” Flint pulled into the parking lot and stopped. “Call me when you come back and I’ll pick you up.”

“Right. Thanks.”

“Good luck.”

Their eyes met. “Yeah.” Marty glanced up at the clock over the door of the bus station. He had only five minutes to spare. He got out of the car and sprinted across the parking lot.  He purchased his ticket and got on the bus. Flint was still there.

Soon Marty would be living on his own –for the first time. He swallowed. Watching his brother drive away, he wondered how it would be to have total privacy. Would he miss Flint or be happy to be alone?


BACK TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE

4 comments:

  1. Interesting scene. So many things to absorb. Looking forward to having some of the questions answered. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot going on here, and it's so well done. I imagine big changes are ahead for Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start on a new story. I love the relationship with the brothers and I get being the third wheel is no fun. Isn't that one of the most awkward things in life? Can't wait to see where this goes and who Marty finds to love.

    ReplyDelete