Monday, December 14, 2020

TUESDAY TALES - ANOTHER EPISODE OF "THE CHRISTMAS PARTY"

 


Welcome! This week our word prompt is "brazen." There's another episode of my story, "The Christmas Party." Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales for some great stories. Thanks for Stopping by. 

                       *************************************  




At her fancy, wrought iron front door, Patrice slipped the key in the lock.  Aaron ducked under the fresh, evergreen swag hanging low over the front door. 

“When are you going to stop going overboard for Christmas? That’s going to strangle someone.” He rolled his eyes toward the greenery.

“When are you going to find a decent girlfriend?” She shot back as she stepped across the threshold.

“Touché.” Aaron followed her.

“Thank God you’re not bringing Crystal to the party/”  Patrice snapped on the front hall light.

“Makes two of us.”

“Santa might have a little Christmas surprise for you.” Her eyes twinkled with a teasing light as she hung up her coat.

“Oh, yeah? Any hints?”

“Nope. Suffer.” She sashayed down the hall to the kitchen. He followed.

“I hear Santa’s got a big surprise for you this year.” Aaron sniffed the air. “You made molasses cookies, didn’t you?”

“Just for you. A big surprise? Like maybe a car?”

He grabbed a cookie off the plate and laughed. “Don’t hold your breath.”

“I didn’t think so.”

Patrice heated up cocoa. They carried their mugs to the living room.

“I think it’s the biggest tree you’ve ever had.” He shook his head, then lifted his finger to count off the boxes. “Thirteen. Last year it was eleven.”

“I went shopping. At least I did it after Christmas last year. Saved a bundle.”

“Is there any ornament you don’t already have?” He approached a box and fingered a delicate clear glass ball with a tiny Santa inside.

“Not anymore.” She switched Christmas music on her phone. Okay?” She tilted her head.

“Why not?”

Aaron surveyed the boxes surrounding the tree, his gaze zeroed in on a particular one. “Every year you say you’re going to put the lights away so they aren’t tangled.”

“Yeah, and every year I forget. Besides, you’re the best untangler I know.”

“Sheer flattery.” He picked up two strings of lights.

“It usually works.” She plopped down, cross-legged in front of one box and took the lid off. “These are my favorites.”

Aaron raised an eyebrow. “I thought they were all your favorites.”

“That’s what I tell them, but this box is special.”

“Why?” He knitted his brow as he attempted in earnest to separate the strings of lights.

“These are the ones from when I was a kid.” She stroked the top of the box lovingly. “Why don’t you have any Christmas spirit? Why don’t you go home for the holiday?” She took out a figure of a reindeer. "I call this one 'Brazen.'" 

"Named after yourself?" he laughed. 



5 comments:

  1. I can identify with her. I collect decorations, too, and have some that go back to my childhood. Great scene. Perfect feel good moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love reading your snippets. Your interactions are always so realistic. I feel like I'm a fly on the wall over watching the scene take place. Lovely snippet - can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way they react to each other. They are so perfect together. Their Christmas presents should be each other! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, special ornaments. I love them. I have a few treasures of my own. This is such a lovely post. And lights being tangled....Yikes, yes. I leave those to my spouse. So realistic here.

    ReplyDelete