Monday, April 13, 2020

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt - UNFORGETTABLE






Howdy! Welcome. This week we have a picture prompt. And we can only post 300 words. We have another episode of my pandemic story called, "Unforgettable." Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. 

************************************ 

After he crossed the George Washington Bridge, he eased down Broadway. Few cars. No taxis. An eerie feeling surrounded him. He had no idea what to expect, and Dr. Cary Metcalf did not like surprises.

He couldn’t believe his luck –a parking space right in front of Aunt Sue’s brownstone. There was no elevator so he trudged up the stairs. His aunt threw open the door and spread out her arms.
“So glad you’re here, Cary. Are you hungry?”
Standing in Sue’s doorway, he glanced at the door opposite, now open halfway. An attractive woman with auburn hair smiled. “Welcome. Glad you’re here. Sue refuses to stay home. I hope you can convince her of the danger of going out.”
“I’ll do my best. Dr. Cary Metcalf.” He extended his hand
“Sarah Linden. Sorry. I don’t shake hands anymore. The virus. You get it.”
“Oh, of course, of course. Sorry.”
“I’ve gotta run. Class.”
“Class?”
“I’m a teacher. Back to my computer.”
Cary went inside. The apartment was as neat and tidy as ever. Something smelled wonderful.
“Homemade pea soup with hot dogs. Your favorite?”
“Sure is. Haven’t had that in years.”
“Sit down. Sit down. Tell me all about your life in Pine Grove.” Sue ladled soup into a bowl and set it in front of Cary. The smell tantalized his taste buds.  
“I hear you’re not obeying the governor’s rule of staying home,” he said, between spoonfuls.
“I need exercise. Gotta get to the grocery store. Meet a friend.”
“You’ve got to stay inside.”
“Hmpf.”
“Aunt Sue, if you get sick, you could die.”
“I’ve made it to seventy-five already. I’m goin’ strong.”
Cary shook his head.
“People your age are dying.”
“Okay, okay. You didn’t come here to ride herd on me, did you?” She frowned.



That's it. More next week. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you're well and staying safe. 


4 comments:

  1. I love the concern they both have for her. Aunt Sue, stay inside! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Sue listen to the lad, stay inside! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Sue really needs to stay inside. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me a thoughtful, uneasy feeling, which is as it should be with such a timely piece. Love the family connection and the different viewpoints of the two. Herding in others can be hard. Well done!

    ReplyDelete