Monday, December 2, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "FROZEN" - ANOTHER EPISODE OF "THE HOUSE-SITTER'S COUNTRY CHRISTMAS"


Welcome! This week the word prompt is "frozen." We continue with "The House-Sitter's Country Christmas". Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thank you for stopping by!

********************************

Laura picked up the phone. “That’s right, Mr. Gladstone, I’m going to New York City for Christmas. Can you please fill the bird feeders while I'm gone?”

“Of course, Miss Fleming. No problem. Key still under the mat?”
She smiled. “Of course.”
“Have a great time. Merry Christmas, Laura.”
“Merry Christmas.”
Laura packed a bag with enough clothes for three days and crammed in her gifts for Craig and George. Peeking out her bedroom window, she spied gray, roiling clouds.
Placing her palm on the window, she noted the cold. Hmm, snow had been forecast. Checking her watch, she didn’t have time to call a taxi to get to the bus station. She’d walk. It wasn’t far. Grabbing her wool coat, she skipped down the stairs.
The temperature had dropped and she’d forgotten to put on boots. When she arrived at the bus station, her toes were frozen. She bought her ticket and hopped on the bus. This would be a good Christmas after all, even if she had to travel to Manhattan. She slipped off her shoes and rubbed her feet. The door of the bus closed, and headed for the highway. Perfect time for a nap. She sat back and closed her eyes, knowing the sway of the bus would lull her to sleep.

**** 

West 81st Street, New York City

“George, did you call to have the car brought around?”
“I did, sir, but they are very busy. Holiday and all.”
“We’re not in a hurry, are we?”
“Not really. Have you called Miss Laura to tell her we’re coming out tonight?”
“Damn! I knew I forgot something!” Craig ripped his cell phone from his breast pocket. He dialed, but it went to voicemail. “Shit! She’s probably out celebrating with some lumberjack.” He grumbled, shoving his phone in his back pocket.
“I seriously doubt that, Sir. Miss Fleming is loyal to you.”
“You think so?”
“I’d put money on it.”
Craig sank down in his chair. “You’re probably right. So where is she?”
George shook his head. “Did you ever clear up with her that we planned to join her for the holiday?”
“I meant to. But with all the business crap we had to tie up before going, it slipped my mind. Guess I figured she’d have figured out that I’d come around. You know how I am.”
“I do, indeed, sir. But I’m not sure Miss Laura is as up-to-speed about you yet.”
“So where is she?” There was a plaintive note in his voice.
“I don’t know, sir. I just hope she’s not on her way here.”



TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE

5 comments:

  1. Uhoh! It looks like they're going to cross paths! I can't wait to see what happens when they get to each of their destinations. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just like a man to assume a woman can read his mind? Great way to add spice to the plot. Looking forward to whatever happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh la la. I like that we had two partial scenes and I hope she is def on the bus on the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! The plot has certainly thickened and twisted. It looks like more complications are in their way before they get things resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy! Way to entice! I SO want to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete