Monday, October 14, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - PICTURE PROMPT - First episode of "The House-Sitter's Country Christmas."




Because I was nearing the end of my urban fantasy tale, I have decided to stop posting that. Watch for news of the story coming out as an ebook, complete with an unexpected ending. 

I'm turning my mind toward the holidays now and writing that much anticipated and late-as-heck story, "The House-Sitter's Country Christmas." I hope you'll stick with me and enjoy this new story. Yes, I started it once before, but there have been changes made. 


*******************************************



New York City, three weeks before Christmas

“Craig, darling, do you have longjohns?”
“What?” He looked up from his coffee to meet Laura’s gaze. A shiver stole through her at his warm stare. Craig’s handsome looks gave her goosebumps. Every morning she said a prayer of thanks to be in a relationship with the millionaire. It wasn’t his money, rather his gruff, but loving way. Though he’d never admit it, he needed her.  
“It gets bone-chilling cold in Pine Grove.”
“Don’t you have heat?”
“The house is old. I heat it with a wood stove and fireplaces in every room.”
“Really? That’s inefficient.”
“I know. But I love the house. I hope you will, too.”
He’d avoided going home with her for months. Craig Banley was used to luxury and an old farmhouse in Pine Grove wouldn’t provide the kind of lifestyle he enjoyed. But it offered the cozy comfort of a fire, the sights and sounds of nature, and Laura’s companionship.
“Why don’t we have Christmas here?” He sliced a piece of brie.
“Because Christmas is a magical time in Pine Grove. Many things you’ve never seen or done.”
“Yeah, like freezing my privates off.”
“Are you serious?”
“I am. I hate being cold. And heating by fireplace doesn’t cut it.”
Anger stirred in her breast. “I’m going to Pine Grove for Christmas. You’re welcome to join me.” Her tone as frosty as an icicle.
“I’ll see you in the New Year, then.” His expression grew stony.
Laura rose to her feet and flounced out of the room. Always has to have his own way. Stubborn. Refuses to change. She threw her clothes in her weekend bag and zipped it up.
“I’ll catch the noon bus.”
“George’ll drive you.”
“I’ll take the subway. Goodbye.”
“But, Laura…”
She slammed the door in his face.




Thanks for stopping by. 

TUESDAY TALES
MY WEBSITE



6 comments:

  1. Another holiday tale! I'm loving it. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I remember some of this from before. Looking forward to more. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how she stormed out of there - the millionaire is a bit spoiled. AND who doesn't like a cozy fire?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Christmas stores. Ho ho, she got her mad on quick! I love the line about her tone getting frosty as an icicle. I will be on the lookout for your urban fantasy to come out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops! Yes, the brewing storm kicked into a tempest. Leading us off for great adventure! I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Not the way to start the holiday! Great job!

    ReplyDelete