Monday, September 30, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "ORANGE" - ANOTHER EPISODE OF MIDNIGHT IN CENTRAL PARK



Welcome! This week the word prompt is "orange." We have another episode of "Midnight in Central Park." Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by!

***********************************

Lunchtime in the cafeteria.
“I don’t see you at breakfast anymore.” Sarah, one of the cafeteria workers, said.
“I eat at home now.”
Wow. That word. “Home.” Slipped from my mouth like I’d been saying it all my life. No need to correct it, though. Everyone didn’t have to know I was living at the Golds.
“Here. I’ve been saving this for you. I know you like them.” She slipped an orange on my lunch tray.
“Yeah. Thanks.”
I put it in my pocket. Always good to have something when I was in the park. Never know when you can count on the hot dog guy to be there.
I took my seat in math class. The teacher called me up to her desk.
“Principal wants to see you. Now.” She opened her book and stood up in front of the class.
Sweat started under my arms and on my upper lip. I slipped quietly into the hall. This couldn’t be good. Mr. Goodwell and I didn’t get along. Goodwell. Evilwell was more like it. He hated kids like me. The feeling was mutual. He was a snob. Wanted me to call him “Dr. Goodwell,” just because he had some fuckin’ degree. I never did.
When I got close to the office, I saw Mr. Gold standing by the secretary’s desk. Oh, fuckin’ Hell! This just got a whole lot worse. No way could this be good. Should I go in or take off? I didn’t have any money saved or a plan of escape worked out yet. The timing was bad. Very bad.
Too late! He turned, spied me, and came to the door.
“Oh, good, Jamie. Here. I’m on my lunch break. Wanted you to have this right away.”
He shoved something in my hand. It was a cell phone. Fuck! A cell phone? Me?
“Yeah. This way we can contact you and you us if there’s an emergency or something. My number and my wife’s are already saved. Just go to contacts. Do you know how to use a cell phone?”
“I’ll figure it out. Thanks.”
I rubbed my thumb over the black screen. I’d never had one before. Something stung the back of my eyes.
“Just remember, young man. All cell phones are to be switched off in school.”
It was that asshole Goodwell. Yeah, like I actually had somebody to call? Right. Uh, no.
“See you at dinner.” Mr. G. smiled at me and headed for the front door.
“Back to class.” Goodwell scowled at me.
I shoved the phone in my back pocket. A cell phone. Damn. Who knew?



***********************************************


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are settling nicely for him! I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! It's the little things that mean so much. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww! I like the Gold's even better now. What a way to worm their way into the locked corners of his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. They are making a home for him, and the way you describe his feelings is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete