Monday, August 12, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - PICTURE PROMPT





Welcome! This week we have a picture prompt, and can only use 300 words. We have another episode of Midnight in Central Park. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by! 

*****************************************


“Today’s your lucky day,” said Mrs. Plaid as she pushed up from her desk. “We’ve found  you a foster home.”
I lifted an eyebrow. “Really?”
“Yeah. And a good one. A great one, in fact.”
Anything to get out of that hellhole. “Okay. Where.”
“Come on. I’ll show you.”
I stood up.
“Grab your bag.”
“What about Ma?”
“It’s going to be okay. You’ll see.”
I didn’t tell her about my bag stashed in the Park. That was my back-up plan. After I knew where they’d bury Ma, I’d take off. No way was I going to be somebody’s fucking charity case. I’d hitch to the west coast. Didn’t know anyone where, but hell, my life here was finished. Might as well start over.
I followed Mrs. Plaid into a building on West End. She rang the doorbell. Sweat started under my arms.
“Hello. I believe you know Jamie, Mrs. Gold?”
“Yes, I do. Come in.”
Holy shit! My teacher! Mrs. Gold? Really?
“This way. You must be hungry,” she said, leading me over to a round table with a tablecloth. There were plates with cheese, fruit and brownies. And a big glass of milk. Whole milk. My mouth watered.
“It’s okay. Here’s a plate.” She handed a china plate with flowers on it. Geez. Ma and I always used paper. She pulled out a chair.
“Sit, Jamie. You’re going to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Gold for a while. Okay?”
I nodded, then eyed the grapes. Don’t remember last time I ate fruit. I snapped a couple off the vine. Damn. They were good.
“Eat something, then we’ll get you settled in your room.”
My room? I had a room?
“It was my son’s, but he’s grown and on his own now.”
I filled the plate and gobbled down the food.





4 comments:

  1. Aw, the poor lad. I hope he finds a good home with his teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are finally looking up for the boy. I hope there isn't anymore bad stuff in his future.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how wonderful that he gets to stay with his teacher and enjoy a set table and healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so glad things are starting to look up for him. What a great placement!

    ReplyDelete