Monday, March 4, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "BOAT" - MAGGIE'S STORY CONTINUES



Welcome! This week we're writing to the word prompt "boat." We have another episode of Maggie's Story. Don't forget to scroll down and return to the wonderful stories on Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by.

***********************************


With a heavy heart, Maggie dragged herself into work. It was her last day with Anne and baby Penn. She sighed. As she pushed her cart, weighed down with a boatload of clean towels, down the hall, tears threatened. The Roberts’ door was open. The squeaky cart wheels announced Maggie’s arrival. Anne popped her head out.

“Oh, good! You’re here,” she said, pulling the young woman into the room.
Penn shrieked with joy. The sound of his laughter chased sadness from her heart. 
“We have a surprise for you,” Anne said.
“You do?” Maggie’s eyebrows rose.
Mr. Roberts joined them. He slipped his arm around his wife’s waist.
Maggie’s gaze bounced from one to the other. “What’s up?”
“We have an offer for you,” the husband said.
“Oh?”
“He’s taking too long. Tell her, tell her!” She bounced on tiptoes.
“Why don’t you?” He gazed at his wife with a loving twinkle in his eye.
“Maggie, we want you to come work for us.”
“You’re not in love with this job, are you?”
 “I hate it with a passion. Mrs. Roberts and little Penn are the highlight of my day.”
“Come with us, Maggie. We have a huge apartment. You’d have your own room.”
“And bath. And I’ll double whatever you’re making here.”
Maggie mouth fell open.  “Are you serious?”
“Damn serious,” he said.
“Penn adores you and so do I,” Anne said.
“We have a penthouse on Park Avenue. I own the building. You'll be comfortable.”
“Are you kidding?”
“My wife says you’re the best. How soon can you pack?”
“I can be ready to leave in an hour.”
“Done.” Mr. Roberts shook her hand. Anne hugged her and little Penn clapped his hands.
“Darling, would you send John to pick her up?”
“Of course. Give Anne your address. He’ll be there at six?”
“Thank you so much. I don’t know what to say.”
“Just be ready.” After another look at his watch, he left the room.
Maggie ran from the subway, anxious to be ready on time. She ran into Burt.
“Hey, hey. Where you headed in such a fury?”
“I’ve got me a new job.”
He raised his brows.
“I do. Workin’ for the Roberts family. You know, the lady and the baby?”
“Really? And what exactly are they hiring you to do?”
“Take care of the baby? Clean house? Cook? Whatever it is, I’m damn glad to be doin’ it”
 “I be wishin’ ya luck,” Burt said.
“I owe it to you for gettin’ me in the hotel, Burt,” she said.
“Never mind. It’s your own doin’. You deserve a break, girl.”



Thanks for stopping by. Return to Tuesday Tales HERE


6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that things are going so well for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are working out well for her. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about how this all came about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this new chapter of her life! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you used the prompt! And YAY for a new life and adventure for Maggie

    ReplyDelete