Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Tueday Tales - Word Prompt - "Road" - More of Maggie's Story


Welcome! This week our word prompt is "road." We have more of "Maggie's Story" this week. This time, from John's point-of-view. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales and the excellent stories there. Thanks for stopping by. 


********************************




“I don’t dislike you, Miss Chadwick,” John said, swallowing.
“You mean you treat your friends like this? Maybe I’m best off not being one of them,” Maggie said, making her way to the bed, and opening her suitcase.
“Pardon me, Miss. I have things to do before dinner. If you’re hungry, cook will make you a snack,” he said, stopping in the doorway.
“Cook? We have a cook?” she asked.
“Of course. Mr. Roberts is a very well to do man.”
“I thought the Missus wanted me to cook. That’s a relief.”
“If cook leaves, it might become your job.”
“Oh. Fine. Please excuse me. I need to unpack,” she said, her hand on the doorknob.
John straightened his shoulders and headed for the kitchen.
“Hmpf. She threw me out! The nerve,” he muttered. He raised his chin. Dislike her? Not exactly. His reaction to her was strong, indeed, but of another sort. Her beauty took him off guard. But he’d been taken for a ride by a pretty face and figure before. No way was he going down that road again.
Still, she had a nice way about her, warm, friendly, with a contagious laugh. He sighed. His job just got harder. Running the Roberts’ home was a fulltime job, without the challenge of keeping his heart safe, and his private parts private. He’d already had his heart and Mrs. Roberts’ ruby ring stolen by the treacherous maid before Maggie.
“Never again,” he said. No way would John Whitfield be taken by a flirtatious look and a pretty face again. This job was strictly business.
But bumping into Maggie in a nightgown and robe at midnight in the kitchen might test his will. John cleared his throat and grabbed a small jar of silver polish. He sat at the dining table, making the silver shine. Cook poked her head in.
“She’s a looker, that new one, isn’t she?”  
“Bite your tongue, Maisie.”  


***************************************

Back to Tuesday Tales

My website

5 comments:

  1. Lovely scene. I look forward to watching the romance develop between these two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. I'm so glad to see his actual feelings are attraction. I can't wait to see him let his guard down. I think these two are going to be electric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the best time watching these two interact with each other. And I loved how you used the word prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that she can still be feisty after all she's been through. You did a powerful job of showing how his reaction comes across to her, as opposed to what his real internal thoughts and feelings are. That last line is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job on using the prompt. Why do I have a feeling he's already going down that road, willingly or not? LOL

    ReplyDelete