Monday, August 31, 2020

Tuesday Tales - Word Prompt "Lonely"

 


Welcome! This week we have another excerpt from "Some Kind og Wonderful." I hope you enjoy it. Please leave a comment, I love feedback. Scroll down to return to the excellent stories on Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by.


***************************


“Maybe nothing good in a restaurant, but how would you feel about buying and restoring a bar?”

“A bar? Why not?”

“It’s smaller than the restaurants and might be quicker to whip into shape.”

“Interesting.” She took another sip of the gold liquid.

“Do you have any experience running a bar?” Grey held the snifter and swirled the brandy.

“I set up and managed the bar for the first year at my last job.” She crossed her legs.

“Sounds good.”

“How much does the owner want?”

“I have no clue, but rumor has it he’s anxious to sell. You might get a bargain.”

“That would be great!”

Grey raised his glass. “Here’s to the new owner of ‘The Wonderful’”

“That’s the bar’s name?” She raised hers as well.

“Yep. It’s a little…unusual.”

“You can say that again. I’d have to change it.”

“Might be a good idea. Give the place a little class with a new look and a new name.”

“How low do you think I can get the owner to go?” She drained her glass.

“I don’t know. But you can call the real estate office in town. Here’s there number.” Grey pulled out a piece of paper from his top drawer. “Make and appointment. Take a look at the pictures.”

“Will do. Thank you.” She started to rise.

“One more thing about that bar.”

“Oh?” Jackie stopped and sat back down.

“It’s landmarked.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means you can restore it to its former glory, but you can’t change the façade in any significant way. It has to look like it did originally.”

“Wow. How does one restore something like that?”

“Get an architect who specializes in this sort of thing?”

“Do you know anyone?”

Grey laughed. “Actually I do.”

“Dad was right. You’re a wealth of information.”

“If you decide to make an offer, let me know.”

“I will. Thank you so much, Grey. You’re a lifesaver.”

Jackie stood and bid Carrie and Grey goodnight. She climbed to her room on the third floor and opened her laptop. Looking up the name of the real estate company, she logged onto their website.

There were pictures of several commercial properties. None grabbed her, until she saw The Wonderful. Sucking in air, her heartbeat quickened. Sure, the lonely little building looked shabby, but she could see the years and years it had been around, welcoming people, serving drinks and good cheer. Under the peeling paint, it dripped charm.

Afraid to look too anxious, she couldn’t resist emailing her father.

“I think I’ve found it, Dad. An old bar. I’ll get in touch again when I know more.”


Back to Tuesday Tales HERE


My website HERE

4 comments:

  1. I feel her excitement growing, and I can't wait to see how she goes about recreating The Wonderful. I want to see what she names it, too! I'm glad she called her dad. Love this line-- Under the peeling paint, it dripped charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! The Wonderful sounds like just what she needs, and maybe its current owner, too. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel how excited she is! I hope everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, their stories are about to collide! I’m excited for her. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete