Monday, August 3, 2020

Tuesday Tales - Word prompt "ARCH"


Welcome! This week's word prompt is "arch." We have another snippet from "Some Kind of Wonderful." I hope you enjoy it. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales and the excellent stories there. Thanks for coming. 


********************************


“I have a proposition for you. You find the right place, the right venue, and I’ll put up the money.”

“A loan?”

Cecil shook his head. “Nope. A gift. I’m well fixed. Why should I wait to give you some of my money until I’m dead? Why not give you some now?”

“Really?” Tears stung the backs of Jackie’s eyes. “You’d do that for me?”

“Of course. You’re my daughter. Who do you think I did all that hard work for –long hours, putting up with asshole clients? It was all for you and your sister, Ellie.”

Jackie bowed her head and swallowed hard. “I don’t know what to say.”

“You might start with thank you.”

“Thank you, Dad. From the bottom of my heart.” She rose from her chair. Standing behind his, she bent down and hugged him. “You’re the best.”

He arched an eyebrow. “Don’t get carried away. You’ll have to convince me it’s the right place, at the right price. You’ll have to submit a marketing plan to me. Treat me like you would a bank. I’m tough. I’m not forking over large amounts of cash for some foolish, fly-by-night scheme. It has to be solid.”

“It will. Oh, yes, it will.” She returned to her seat and took another cookie.

“One more thing. We’re not gonna do this joint venture in New York City.”

Jackie raised her eyebrows. “Not in the City? It’s what I know.”

“The restaurant business is what you know. You can do it anywhere. You need a break from the crummy people you’ve been involved with.”

“You mean Chuck?”

“Bingo.”  He finished his tea. “How about a refill?”

Jackie turned on the stove. “Coming right up.” She picked up another tea bag.

Cecil put his hand over the mug. “This one is just fine.”

Jackie smiled. “Thrifty as the day is long.”

“Reusing tea bags is how I got to be a rich man.” His dark eyes twinkled.

Jackie refilled both mugs, then sat down again.

“So where do you think I should go?”

“Now don’t get mad.”

“Uh oh.”

Cecil placed his hand on hers. “I’ve got a friend, an investment counselor of mine. He lives in the City, but also has a country house in a small town about two hours from here.”

“A small town?”  She poured two more mugs of tea.



BACK TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE



4 comments:

  1. I really love his tough love. I love how supportive he really is but is making her earn it. I can’t wait to see what happens in the small town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is an admirable man, firm in inner strength and steady in his ways. It is endearing how he wants happiness and success for his daughter and is able to intuitively pinpoint what might engage her purpose and passion. Can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her father reminds me of mine. Sweet, kind, but tough in a good way. Loving this. I'm looking forward to the small town and his friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Reusing tea bags is how I got to be a rich man."

    Is THAT what I've been doing wrong? LOL
    Great snippet! I can't wait to read more and see this small town she ends up with. Along with the investment counselor. Now I'm really intrigued!

    ReplyDelete