Monday, August 10, 2020

TUESDAY TALES - PICTURE PROMPT - GRAVEYARD

 





Howdy! Welcome to my Tuesday Tales snippet. It's picture prompt week and we're in a cemetary. This 300-word excerpt is from "Some Kind of Wonderful" again. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by!


********************************* 


Pine Grove

 Jeff Barrett gripped his mother’s hand as his father’s casket was lowered into the ground. Tears ran down Martha Barrett’s cheeks, but none down Jeff’s. Stony-face, he stood too erect, too stiff. When the undertaker’s men shoveled dirt over the wood box, Jeff and his mother turned away.

“Well, that’s that.” Martha wiped her face with a hanky and sighed.

“Yep. One wasted life.” Jeff shook his head.

“Oh no. I wouldn’t say so. He produced you and Becky. That’s a huge contribution to mankind.”

“Not in his book.”

“Well, in my book, then.” She patted his hand.

“Thanks, Mom.” Jeff gave her hand one more squeeze before he let go. His sister joined them. Becky put her arm around her mother.

“I’ll take her.”

Martha stiffened. “I’m perfectly all right. Those were the last few tears I had left to shed for your father. Now I’m done. A delivery from The Cozy Café dropped off a couple of Laura Dailey’s apple pies this morning. Let’s go.” Martha marched out of the cemetery and toward a black SUV.

Becky frowned. “She really doesn’t care, does she?”

“Would you if you lived with a raging alcoholic for thirty years? It’s a fucking miracle she didn’t kill him.”

Becky turned damp eyes to her brother. “Are you all right?”

“I’m just amazed he lasted this long.”

“He had his moments.” She slipped her arm through his.

“Maybe with you. Never with me.”  Jeff pulled away.

“Don’t be like that.”

“Like what, Becky? I hated him. I’m glad he’s gone.” Jeff quickened his pace.

“Don’t say that.”

“Afraid of the truth? I’m not.” He turned left.

“Where are you going? The reception is at the house.”

“I’m not going. Listen to people lie about what a ‘good man’ Chester Barrett was? Bullshit.”


BACK TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE

5 comments:

  1. WOW. That's harsh, but then again, honest. There are some people too mean and petty for this world and it sounds like Chester Barrett was one of them. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a powerful post. Some people are just terrible human beings. Sounds like Chester was one of those sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How hard for the family, and yet also a relief. You portray so well the deep emotions involved. I hope they can get some solace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! What a horrible way for him to be remembered. It's sad when family is torn apart by alcohol. Well done on the bitterness the son feels for the way his father behaved to his mother and him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His anger and hate is so real. In a way I am happy for him that his father is gone. Good job!

    ReplyDelete