Monday, May 27, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "COLORFUL" - MIDNIGHT IN CENTRAL PARK






Welcome! This week's word prompt is "colorful." Again we have an episode of "Midnight in Central Park. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Don't be shy. Leave a comment. Thanks for stopping by!

******************************

I melted butter in the pan, then cracked a few eggs. Mom always said pasta was the cheapest, most nutritious food. I figured eggs were even better. I put up a pot of coffee, hoping the aroma would wake her up.
Sure enough, she stumbled into the kitchen right before the eggs were done. I popped two pieces of bread into the toaster.
“Breakfast for dinner,” I announced.
“Jamie. What did you do?”
“Cooked, Ma. Sit down.”
She rubbed her eyes and yawned. “Where did you get the money?”
“From your purse.”
She nodded, then sank down into a chair. “I’m not really hungry.”
“You gotta eat.” I spooned some eggs onto her plate.
“You’re a good boy. Did I ever tell you that?”
“Yeah, Ma. Like maybe a hundred times already.”
Someone had to take care of her. She sure wasn’t doing it herself.
“Did you take anything else from my purse?” She cast a suspicious eye on me.
“Nope.”
“Good. I’ll be right back.”
Anger rose inside me. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I wanted to smash something.  I knew what she was up to. No, I didn’t touch the baggie of cocaine she’d stashed in her bag. 
“Ma! What the fuck are you doing? Don’t be an asshole. Come on, leave that shit alone!” I yelled with everything I had. No answer.
“Ma! Fuck it! Why do I bother?”
She returned, hair combed, smiling, sniffing and wiping her nose.
“You have coffee, I have this. Just to start my day.”
“Just, just just! You have every fucking excuse in the book. When are you gonna stop?” I turned off the heat on the stove.
“I can stop anytime. I like it. Don’t worry about me. How’s school?”
“What the fuck?” I sank down in my chair and turned my gaze to my plate.
“You know I don’t like your colorful language, Jamie.” She tried like Hell to sound stern.
“Yeah, Ma. And I don’t like drugs. So, we’re even.”

Back to Tuesday Tales

MY WEBSITE



5 comments:

  1. Wow, what an emotional scene! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing Vicki. What a scene. So sad when the child has to be the adult. Drugs are so destructive. Hope his mother smartens up, but I doubt it. A sad reality for so many these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor kid. He has a hard road. Such an anguishing scene. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa. What a day they are having. Yikes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love his strength a determination when it comes to his mom. He is one tough cookie! I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete