Tuesday, October 10, 2023

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "CURLY"



Welcome! This week our word prompt is "curly". We have another short episode of "Two of Hearts." When you're done, hop on over to the other stories by our talented authors. Find them HERE. Thanks for stopping by. 


                     *************************************************

 Friday night, Terry got Chinese food and settled down to watch the news. When he finished, he dialed Clare. This time, she answered.

“Hey, baby. How are you?”

“Terry?”

“Yeah. Your husband. Remember me?”

She laughed. “I’m good. What’s up?”

“Needed to hear your voice. That’s all.”

“Okay. I miss you, too.”

“Do you?”

“I have to turn the phone off during class. And field trips. We’re touring studios, actually going on location. They have an amazing director. He’s taking us everywhere.”

“As long as he doesn’t take you to his bedroom,” Terry said.

“Don’t be stupid, Terry.”

“Is it stupid to worry about your beautiful wife? It’s not like men don’t want to sleep with you, right?”

“I’m married.”

“So? That doesn’t stop some horny dicks.”

“I’ve always been faithful.”

“And that continues, right?” he asked, pushing to his feet.

 “You shouldn’t even have to ask.”

“But I do, Clare. You’re far away. It’s a couple of weeks. I don’t hear from you often. What can I think?”

“You can think I’m busy, learning a ton of stuff and maybe having some fun with the other writers in the class.”

“Other writers? Men?”

“Mostly women.”

“That’s a relief.”

“I swear, you see infidelity in every man who walks into my life.”

“Yeah, well, I’m a guy. A husband. With a sexy wife.”

“This conversation is going nowhere.”

“I’m sorry, Clare. I love you, baby. I’m worried. I don’t want to lose what we had.”

“Jealousy is no way to hold on to me.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I can’t help it. I know guys.”

“Not all guys want to sleep with me,” she said.

“No, only the straight ones.”

Silence.

“That was a joke,” he said.

“A bad one.”

“I miss you.”

“I love you, Terry. You’re one in a million. Look, the writers are going out to eat. I’ve gotta run. Don’t worry. I’m still your wife.”

“Love you.”

“Back at ya,” Clare said before signing off.

Terry paced, making the curly-tailed dog bark. “I don’t know, Queenie. That didn’t go great.” 


That's all. Thanks for coming. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this look into their relationship. It definitely explains why they were having trouble. Her wanting to cut the conversation short makes me wary. Can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I agree with him-- something's rotten in Denmark as the saying goes. Love that you used the curly for the dog tail. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor guy. His insecurity about her is shining through. It's sad that she doesn't call him more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, poor guy. Well done excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, that did not go well. But I can see things from both sides. And the more he clings and makes those comments, it isn't going to help either. I can't wait to read more and see where they are both going with this. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete