Tuesday, June 20, 2023

TUESDAY TALES: WORD PROMPT "MIRROR" - "TOO LATE FOR GOODBYE"

 


Howdy Doodles! It's time for another episode of  "Too Late for Goodbye." Today's word prompt is "mirror." When you're done, hop on over to the other authors fabulous posts. Get there from HERE


                          *************************************************

“Be right back.”  She left the room again.

Jen called in from another room, chattering away. He couldn’t make out most of what she said, so he took the minute to check his reflection in a small wall mirror, then combed his hair back with his fingers.

“Here it is. Here. Look at this.” She came in carrying a huge folder and laid it on the table. “It’s a newspaper.”

“A newspaper?” He raised his eyebrows. “You want me to print a newspaper?”

“Not just any newspaper. It’s only for good news. See?  The masthead? It’s says ‘Good News’.”

“Did you write this?”

“Oh no. I wrote the editor’s column. My friends, parents at the kids’ school, wrote the rest. It’s really good. We gathered stories from all over. Only happy stories. Stories with good endings. Nothing negative.”

“A good news newspaper? Brilliant.” He broke a piece of toast in half.

She shot him a smile that would melt a glacier. He felt heat all the way to his toes.

“A lot of people thought it was dumb. But I did it anyway.” She put a second piece on each plate.

“I don’t think it’s dumb at all.” He picked up the toast.

“Good. Then you can help me. I can pay. I have money.”

‘Okay. Let’s talk specifics.”

She plopped down on a chair. “I’m glad you’re taking me seriously. Not everyone does.”

Marty finished chewing a piece of toast. “Who said a beautiful woman can’t have brains, too?”


That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by. 


6 comments:

  1. We could all use a Good News type of newspaper these days. Great scene. Love the fact that he can appreciate the fact that women can have good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has a great finish line! Boy, I need a subscription to that paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if people can subscribe to an online version of that paper! Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept of such a paper. Mush needed in this world! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I'd get that paper. That's why I stopped watching the news. Too much negative. I love how he slicked his hair back in the mirror when she left the room for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the concept of a good news newspaper. In this day and age it is so needed. I can’t wait to see where this goes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete