Monday, June 12, 2023

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt


 



Welcome!! It's time for Tuesday Tales and more of "Too Late for Goodbye," Marty's story. This week is picture prompt week. I've chosen a picture of Cedar Lake, the lake in the town where Marty met Jenny and her kids. We are restricted to only 300 words during picture prompt week. 

When you've finished my story, hop on over to the great Tuesday Tales authors and see what they have to offer. Find them HERE. Thanks for stopping by. 

                                         ********************************************
    
                                                                                                    
She plunked down a big envelope on the sideboard and approached the stove. “It’s mushroom and barley. I threw in some leftover meat, too. I hope you’re not vegetarian.” She ladled out a big bowl and placed it in front of him.

“I’m not. This looks great,” he said.

She popped some bread into the toaster.

“I’ll be right back.”  She left the room again.

The steaming bowl smelled heavenly. He filled his spoon, then blew on it. The first taste was amazing. Jen returned, buttered the toast, put it on a plate, then filled her own bowl.

“Mushroom and barley is my favorite,” Marty said, crossing his fingers under the table.

“Is it? Mine, too,” she replied. “You know my kids can’t stop talking about Pine Grove.”

“Oh, really?” Marty raised his eyebrows.

“Yeah. Ethan goes on and on about Cedar Lake. Every week he doubles the amount of fish he’s going to catch when we visit next time. And Sophie…” Jen stopped and blushed.

“What did Sophie like most?” He took another spoonful of soup.

Jen filled hers and blew on it, avoiding his gaze.

“Come on. The suspense is killing me.” Marty put down his spoon.  

“She liked dancing with you best.”  Jen blushed.

“Oh, come on!” He laughed. “I’m a terrible dancer.”

“Not according to Sophie. She said she’s going to marry you when she grows up.” Jen’s face turned a deeper shade of red.

He shot her a crooked smile. “That’s the nicest proposal I’ve ever had.” He touched her hand briefly.  

She met his gaze. “It is?”

“Actually, it’s the only proposal I’ve ever had. But I’ll take it. She’s a heartbreaker, a little charmer, for sure.”

Jen shot him a warm smile. “I agree.”

“Takes after her mother.”


                                         ********************************************

That's all. Thanks for stopping by. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this, especially the last line. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, they are growing closer. How sweet that the daughter likes him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I love that exchange. And I love, love her reaction when she told him about Sophie. Great job!

    ReplyDelete