Monday, September 2, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "UNHAPPY".






Howdy! I'm back this week with the word prompt "unhappy." We're still with Jamie and the urban fantasy, Midnight in Central Park. Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales

**********************************************

Time seemed to stand still, then rush by. How weird is that? A week after my life ended, I was told to go back to school. Really? Like nothing happened? I nodded and planned my escape in my mind.
But Sunday night was pot roast. No way was I running out on pot roast. The smell tormented me all day as I lay on my new bed and tried to focus. What had happened to my life? It had imploded, then ended, then started again?
I could hear Ma in my head. “Are you happy now?”
Happy? She was kiddin’ me. How could I be happy she’s gone? My life ran into a brick wall. She didn’t think old man Gold was gonna let me sleep in the park, did she? Still, the word unhappy couldn’t nearly describe what I felt. Is this what it feels like to die and become a zombie?
Emptiness filled me. That’s funny. How can you be full of nothing? I was. It was the only way to describe it. There was a knock.
“Dinner, Jamie.” It was the Missus, stickin’ her head in the door.
“Thanks.”
Pot roast. Damn. Was it too much to dream of mashed potatoes, too? Didn’t everyone make mashed potatoes to go with pot roast? I had no fuckin’ clue. I don’t know if I ever ate pot roast before. It just smelled do damn good, it had to taste good, too.
I washed my hands and joined them at the table.
“This is your seat, Jamie.” Mr. Gold pulled out a chair.
Get fuckin’ out! The man pulled out a chair for me. Too surreal. This is a dream. It can’t be reality.
Mrs. Gold served the food. Hot damn! Mashed potatoes! She made plates for everyone. My plate was heaped higher than the Mister’s.
“I hope you’re hungry.” She smiled as she passed the plate to me.
Hungry? Was she kidding? I could eat everything on that table and still have room for more.
I cut the meat and put some in my mouth. It was so good, it brought tears to my eyes. I blinked ‘em back. Pot roast was my new fantasy meal. I ate everything on my plate. She refilled it and I finished that, too.
I glanced at Mr. Gold. I saw pity in his eyes. I put my fork down. I don’t need no pity from anyone.
“Go on, son. Don’t let me stop you.” He smiled.
That’s all I needed. Chewing the last bite, my mouth wanted more, but my gut couldn’t take it. The Missus disappeared into the kitchen.
“Wait ‘til you see what’s for dessert.” Mr. Gold winked at me.
Fuckin’ damn. Dessert? The Missus came out carrying a pie. I could smell it across the room. It looked freshly baked.
“My wife’s specialty. Apple pie.”
“Yeah? Well it had better line up for number one right behind pot roast and mashed potatoes.”
He laughed. My mouth watered.


*********************************************

Thanks for stopping by. 

TUESDAY TALES

My website

5 comments:

  1. I hope the lad finds a good place to rest and heal with this couple. They sound lovely so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I’m hungry! I love his excitement for this meal he daydreamed about to find out it was better than he imagined. I hope he finds his home with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see things aren't quite so grim for him. Hope they stay that way, but I have that waiting for the other shoe to drop sensation. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love seeing him relish such a mouth watering meal. The way he puts this is perfect-- my mouth wanted more, but my gut couldn’t take it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love,love, love this scene! I'm so happy to see him getting some enjoyment out of a delicious meal. Pot roast! One's got to have some priorities in one's life. Well done!

    ReplyDelete