Monday, September 19, 2022

TUESDAY TALES - PICTURE PROMPT WEEK - ANOTHER EPISODE OF THE KICKER STORY, PART 1

 



Howdy! This week we write to a picture prompt. Of course I picked the locker room! Each story has to be no more than 300 words. That can be challenging. We have another excerpt of "The Kicker's Story, Part 1" this week. Bop on over to the other blogs HERE. Thanks for stopping by.

**************************************

Robbie tried every trick he knew to get Dale Sawyer interested, but nothing worked. She looked at him as if he was a piece of cellophane, when she even bothered to shift her gaze in his direction, which wasn’t often.

One day on the way to the locker room, Tuffer Demson, an offensive lineman stopped him.

“Look, I agree with the guys. But what’s making me fuckin’ nuts is you have no effing clue how to talk to this chick.”

“What do you mean?”

“Damn, Robbie. You’ve been around so many women, haven’t you listened?”

“Some of the time.” Robbie reconsidered. “Most of the time. But when they start yakking about movie stars or bra sales…”

Tuffer interrupted. “They to be heard-seen…”

“Oh, I see Dale all right. I’d like to see more!” Robbie snickered.

Tuffer shook his shoulders. “You idiot. Not like that. Like people. They want to be heard like people, not just pussy. Okay? And be nice. Listen.”

“I’m nice. I’m real nice.”

“I mean outside the bedroom. Do nice things. Bring flowers. Candy. Notice stuff. Say something nice.”

“I’m nice.”

Tuffer shook his head. “You’re not. You’re on the prowl and a woman can smell it a mile away. Especially a smart woman, like Dale. Be genuine. Listen, really listen, and talk to her like she’s a person. She’ll come around.”

“You guarantee it?”

Tuffer nodded. “I do. If you really mean it.”

“Okay. I’ll try it. I need ideas.”

“Tomorrow. At lunch.”

“Thanks, Tuff,” Robbie slapped the young man on the shoulder. “I appreciate it.”

“Anything so I don’t have to witness your slow torture anymore,” Tuffer said, slamming his locker door.

As they headed for the door, a cheer went up from the room.

“It’s about time!” said Buddy Carruthers, wide receiver.


4 comments:

  1. Nothing like having to man-splain it to another guy. Great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great scene! Thank goodness someone could fill him in! When he thought she looked at him like cellophane, I could see Robbie singing the Mr. Cellophane song from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tuffer. Sensible and not afraid to set this guy straight. And love the cellophane turn of phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how his whole team is behind him figuring this out with Dale. This were very wise words. Great job!

    ReplyDelete