Monday, November 15, 2021

TUESDAY TALES - PICTURE PROMPT


     



        Goodness how the times flies! It picture prompt week again! Welcome. We have another snippet of 300 words -- all that's allowed on picture prompt days -- from "Sarah's Dilemma". I hope you like it. Then please return to read the other wonderful stories by Tuesday Tales talented team. Find them HERE

   Don't forget to leave a comment. Thanks for stopping by! 


******************************************

“I thought you wanted to talk?” Caleb said.

Abigail stood in the doorway in the early morning light. She gazed at the forest, then took a deep breath.

“What is it? Can it be so terrible you cannot tell me?”

She smiled and placed her free hand on his arm. “No, no. It’s nothing terrible.”

“Then speak.”

“I talked to Daniel Rhodes today.”

“Oh? I thought you were feeling fine.”

She put her finger on his lips. “I am. Stop interrupting or we’ll never get this done.”

He nodded.

“I spoke to Daniel today. I asked him what the chances are of my dying in childbirth.”

Caleb rose halfway out of his seat, his mouth opened.

“No, wait! Wait!” She pushed him back down and he closed his mouth. “He said since I’ve had three live births, deliveries, with no complications, the odds are greatly in my favor.”

“Odds in your favor? Not good enough.”

“Stop! Wait. He said he’d never lost a woman who had had my history. He said he’d feel perfectly safe if I were his wife.”

“Oh, really?” Caleb cocked an eyebrow. “Then why doesn’t he have more children?”

Abby stared at her hands. “He told me this in confidence. You mustn’t repeat it. Virginia had two miscarriages and one still birth.”

“Oh my God,” Caleb whispered. “Terrible.” He shook his head.

“I want to have another child.” She downed some of the liquid in the glass.

“Didn’t we already decide this?” He took a sip.

“You decided. You decided ‘no’, but I want another child. I want to have your child, Caleb. Yours and mine.”

He slid his arm around her shoulders and kissed her. “There’s nothing I want more than to give you another child. But not at the expense of losing you.”

 

**********************************   

That's all. See you next week!

5 comments:

  1. Great scene. I can understand her desire and his fear. Such a simple desire could end in tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's heartbreaking to think how likely such possibilities were throughout history. Great job of showing the fears that arise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were some very real possibilities in those days. I love how you showed us the scene between them and their conflicting desires. Great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh stubborn man! I love the impasse you put them in. I hope they reach a resolution together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that last line is so sweet. I'd be like him, scared to lose her.

    ReplyDelete